A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday -- 18 Feb 2011  (Read 3310 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

volomortuus

I love my spinning wheel and my garden!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011 10:56:51 AM »

everything i had left.... mostly wool

Close-up
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuppy
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011 07:37:30 PM »

Oh my...I'm really late! I hope you don't mind. It's my weekend to work so my whole week was all thrown off, but I did spin a couple of skeins.

But first the love....

volomortuus: that is the best yarn EVER! I love love love it.
jets to july: that is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you'll be posting the hat you make!
hippie: what can I say? You're going to get a big head if I compliment you any more. Smiley Smiley I really really love Aphotic and your unnamed one.
oddacity: you have a very lucky friend!
jexx: so freaking amazing! And I love the fiber heart.
Ospreywife: I love the color and the bulkiness
nikschaf: LOVELY! I want to squish it!

These are both fiber purchases from "Spin Stitch Sew."

The first is 105 yards of Wendsleydale. Unnamed at the moment...

And the second is 120 yards of BFL I like to call "Aquarium"...

I think they are both probably worsted.

And here's a pic of the other fiber nut in my house. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011 07:29:55 AM »

Wow, all of the yarns this week are stunning, and well worth the wait. I was going to post mine on Friday after I took pics, then I got felled by a virus. I have a couple of plyed yarns fresh off the wheel that I need to get pics of, then I'll get them posted.

jexxican, I love your wool comb! Did you build that yourself? The heart is awesome! I love your finished yarn. Your plying looks so nice! I am struggling with plying right now, and I hope it "clicks" for me soon. Navajo/chain plying would be great for some of the yarns with long color changes I have in mind. I also don't own very many bobbins, and that's another reason I want to master it.  Smiley

Angry Hippie, your art yarns this week are very inspiring! You do such gorgeous work.

missmuppy, I love the colors of your yarns, and your pretty kitty.

volomortuus, that yarn is wonderful! I bet it will be fun to knit up!

jets_to_july, those are very nice singles. I'd love to see the finished project. There is a fiber guild near me, but it would be hard to join with kids in tow. Same situation as Jexxican's in my area. I'm not all that young (47), but my kids are young and rambunctious. If I could find enough interested people in my area who are parents of young ones... Smiley I'm going to be spinning on my Turkish spindle at the parks in town this summer while they play. Maybe I'll find some people to get hooked on spinning and we can start a kid-friendly gathering.  Smiley

oddacity, I love the yarn, and the dice bag!

Ospreywife-- you did a great job on that yarn!

nikschaf-- Speckled hen is a perfect name for that yarn. It looks so soft and fun to work with.

For Valentine's day, my hubby got me some more dye soppers and grab bag wool from Sheep Shed Studio. It came yesterday. Because of my stomach yuckyness, I've hardly peeked in the box. Just enough to confirm that wonderful things await. It looks like most of it will need to be carded or run though my hackle, but lots of rich colors to play with. I feel better today, just tired, and a little bit like a steam roller flattened me. I will start carding some of my new goodies in a bit, though.  Smiley

Edited to add my yarns. I haven't named this one yet. Maybe after I finish it I'll have a name.

Cherry blossom. One of these was plied before I got some upsetting (and expensive!) bad news, and the other was plied after. I learned that I need to not be treadling when angry. Oh well. The messy one will still work as weft on my rigid heddle looms.  Cheesy This is what became of my carding experiment.

And my other carding experiment with the Lion Brand scraps worked in. I am spinning this long draw. Newbie long draw.  Cheesy

It gets more and more fun to spin this way, as I learn how to lose my death-grip on the rolag... Smiley

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011 08:12:55 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011 01:09:19 PM »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments Smiley

i am loving everyone's yarn! Everything looks so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011 10:38:26 AM »

wow.  I love the scrap yarn, volomortuus! I have to try that!

I'm going to make a try to spin down my stash in March, so that's an idea to keep in mind. (I'm trying to start a spinning stash CAL, so comment! the link is in my signature).

oddacity I love those colors.  I have a weakness for pastels.

LL, the cherry blossom is very pretty.  The experiment looks quite exciting, too.

missmuppy  love the colors! and the kitty! mine always try to bite roving, so they are discouraged when they try to hang around.

angry hippie - I love Aphotic! although all your yarns are good.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Angry Hippie
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011 04:43:27 PM »

Oh god it's thursday already, I had the flu this week and now i'm all behind.
nikschaf- A Rapunzel scarf would be great.  The yarn actually reminded me of one of those giant yarn cowls on etsy... i just spent 15 mins trying to track one down, no luck.  Odd since i can't seem to get away from the darn things while looking or anything and everything else.  I did stumble upon nesse's cowls and by golly i love her stuff. 

Missmuppy- Love the colors of that first one, what's Wendsleydale like?

Jets_to_july- It's not difficult at all.  There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to figuring out how much twist to add and u have to keep the amount of twist fairly consistent but other then that it's not hard.  I can't wait to see the hat you make.  This is going to sound dumb but what do u do at guild meetings?
There's a guild in my area and few times a year they have field trips to fiber farms or spinning demos but i always wondered what they did all the other meetings, do you just sit around and spin together?  I really wanted to join but like jexx i fear being the only non senior there.

LaughingLark- i dig that first yarn it's reminds me of a big bunch of wild flowers.

volomortuus-*drool* That is some sexy yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011 06:11:57 PM »

Giant yarn cowl...I am intrigued.  I'll have to see if I can figure that out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011 07:44:24 PM »

I'm in a guild! I love the guild. I'm totally not the youngest person, though, almost.  Alright, truthfully, I've been in four guilds. And in two I may be on the young side, but the spinner's guild has got more young people than the general fiber art guilds, somehow.

And they're great.  They do have a lot of older women, (and sometimes a few men), but generally, you know, it's all about yarn? so, its cool.  And it's a great place to ask for used equipment (there's a number of things I bought through the guild) and to learn new things.

At ours, there usually is a guild business meeting, then they do announcements, and then there is sometimes a short lecture on some topic: spinning a certain fiber, or making a felted something, or maybe a knitting technique.  Mostly, it's snacks and chat and spinning (or knitting/crochet, etc).

Some of them have a library, where the guild buys fiber books and you can borrow them for a month.  Some have equipment you can rent if you're a member. Some put on sales a few times a year (most, maybe?) where you can sell things you've made. Some have members who sell fiber at every meeting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011 08:09:25 AM »

i totally missed this FF!!  gah!
They are all so gorgeous.
Jexx, I want that pic of the fiber heart on the hackle.  I don't think yoinking it from here will work though.  I wanna blow it up, print it and frame it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Pekingse
How to Draw Patrick
Air Graffiti Wall Takes Street Art Off the Streets
How to Draw Pascal
How to Draw Otto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...