A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
838 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first mica shift pendant.  (Read 1082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ToniOboe
« on: February 17, 2011 10:31:40 AM »

I've seen so many mica shift pieces online, and wanted to try my hand at it.  I read quite a bit about it, and why it works the way it does, with the mica being moved around in different directions.  I ran it through the pasta machine a bunch, making sure that I had no streaks or lines and that the mica was all facing the same way.  Here is what I came up with: 

I backed it up with a piece of black clay with silver leaf.  I also glazed it with clear dimensional gloss that I'm really loving (Inkssentials Glossy Accents).  It works a lot like resin, though it's not as hard and isn't as raised, but I prefer it to the mess and preciseness that resin requires.  I hope you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imera
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011 02:00:55 AM »

it's lovely, great colours and patterns Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011 12:58:43 PM »

Very nice!  Which technique did you use?   The effects that can be achieved with just one color of mica clay are pretty darned amazing--and fun  Grin.

(Btw, have you tried using Varathane or another brand of water-based gloss polyurethane as your glossy finish?  It's harder, tougher, cheaper and easier to use than any kind of resin, and also harder/tougher than "dimensional white glues," etc. If you want lots more info re various kinds of clear finishes to use on polymer clay and haven't been there, you might want to check out the Finishes page of my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm )

Diane B.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011 01:00:58 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
ToniOboe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011 05:35:12 PM »

I didn't know there was more than one "mica shift" technique, Diane.  I just stamped the clay and removed the raised part, then rolled it to the thickness and shape that I wanted it.  I'll have to look into those finishes you wrote about.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011 09:38:41 AM »

I didn't know there was more than one "mica shift" technique, Diane.  I just stamped the clay and removed the raised part, then rolled it to the thickness and shape that I wanted it.

Oh there are definitely various mica clay effects.  The one you used was discovered by Jami Miller and published long ago (she called it "Ghost Technique"), though Mike Buesseler had been playing around with "drawing" on top of mica clays and impressing them as well.  There are various ways of shaving or sanding the excess off though, etc, for the ghost effect technique.

Some of the other special effects involve making aligned rods/etc of mica clay into actual canes then taking thin slices and laying them on a base sheet (flattening into the sheet) or making all kinds of other shapes to add to a base and flatten in (folded, blobby, etc), or using sheets or canes with other clay in new canes/blends/etc, cutting long square strips from a sheet of aligned mica clay then twisting them (to use as is as a dimensional wicker-type effect, etc, or to lay on a base sheet and flatten), making faux wood/stone/bamboo/etc, making stacks of aligned bits then shaving the stacks into various bead shapes or creating holographic "wobbling dots" in bead shapes, or doing other things with stacks like using wavy blades to cut them, using in very thin stacks of multiple colors (some opaque, not mica-based) then stamping and shaving/sanding to reveal multiple outline colors, etc.

(There's loads of info about all those on the Mica Clays page at my site if you're interested:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/mica.htm )

Diane B.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011 09:41:12 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012 11:55:47 AM »

The pendant is nice. The color is great for the shift, a little dark, a little rainy-day magic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Budget Your First Movie
How to Write Your First Movie
How to Make a Storyboard
How to Make a Music Video
How to Produce Videos on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...