A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you turn your drawings/paintings into prints?  (Read 10939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lazy.jane
« on: February 17, 2011 02:01:41 AM »

Hi everyone,

I normally loiter around in the dolls forum so this is my first post here and I have a questions which is probably really easy and obvious to answer!

I like to draw and paint and have sketchbooks full of little things which I thought might look nice mounted up. However, I'd like to be able to make some prints (maybe to sell in my Etsy shop) or little note cards, etc. with my drawings on them. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this though and wondered if anyone could help me?

All that my brain can come up with at the moment is either to scan my drawings in to my computer and then print them out, or take a photo of them with a digital camera, and again print them out....is that how people do it, or is there a more 'advanced' way of turning your artwork into prints? Any help would be much appreciated as I am a complete newbie at this type of thing.

Thank you so much.

Lesley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bonesaw
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011 12:28:56 AM »

yep that's the only way to get them on a print , get them on to your computer then photoshop to clean it and make it more presentable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illustrations, paintings and other knick knacks.

Party time all the time.

christianpena.etsy. com
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011 06:18:04 AM »

I sometimes bluetack my work onto the wall & take photos using my DSLR then clean it up in photoshop, but I haven't printed to test out the quality yet, I just use the digital copies to use online. I can't use my scanner as it's rubbish!

You probably have a local print shop (they do photocopies, brochure printing business cards etc) the majority of those will create digital copies of your work for you with a good quality scanner Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
attain98
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011 07:07:20 AM »

Hi OP

As you had guessed the easiest way is to take a high quality photo of your painting, a good indicator is over 5 mega-pixels - if the image is 1MB or more it should be good enough to make a print of about 50cm by 50cm without any loss of quality. Obviously, the larger the print the larger the photo should be.

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whiteowldesigns
White Owl Designs

It's all about the beads!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012 07:28:41 PM »

I am really interested in this question as well and the answers didn't get to my questions. If you want to sell prints of your artwork as I see so many artists doing these days - what are the details such as:

When you take the photo - how many dpi does it need to be to have a local printer (kinko's?) print it out. What do they(kinko's) need from me?

What kind of paper(s) is standard for sold prints? What do I ask for?

Sorry for the general questions but I am completely clueless on this and really interested. Does anyone here do this? Did I get to the post too late for responses? lol.

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012 04:06:30 AM »

I am really interested in this question as well and the answers didn't get to my questions. If you want to sell prints of your artwork as I see so many artists doing these days - what are the details such as:

When you take the photo - how many dpi does it need to be to have a local printer (kinko's?) print it out. What do they(kinko's) need from me?

What kind of paper(s) is standard for sold prints? What do I ask for?

Sorry for the general questions but I am completely clueless on this and really interested. Does anyone here do this? Did I get to the post too late for responses? lol.

Thanks so much!

There are experts in this very field over at  Sunshine Artist magazine. http://www.sunshineartist.com/forum/index.php

Sunshine Artist is a magazine for the arts and crafts industry. There are plenty of professionals who make prints in the forum section. Register, ask, and you will get the answers you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
whiteowldesigns
White Owl Designs

It's all about the beads!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012 10:34:49 AM »

Thanks so much Chris!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012 02:03:12 AM »

Re: the actual printing and selling of prints, depending on your market it might be easier to go through a site like RedBubble.  You just upload your file, specify what you'd like it to be sold on  (posters, canvases, greeting cards...) and then they handle the printing, shipping etc when someone buys something.  It's like Cafepress, but with a more arty focus.

You probably don't make as much money as doing it all yourself - the site you sell through will want their cut - but if you're hoping to sell online rather than in person at art shows or the like, it might be easier.

I've personally never sold anything through them, but then I've only got about three things listed there and I've done nothing whatsoever to promote it.  It's on my list of stuff to do, but life keeps getting in the way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Hair to Create Volume
How to Care for Dry and Damaged Hair
How to Combat Oily Hair
How to Color Your Hair at Home
How to Create a Faux Bob Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...