A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Afghan Problem  (Read 481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jsinclair
« on: February 06, 2011 08:44:32 AM »

So, I just found Craftster and have been lurking about few a week or two, but finally bite the bullet and joined up, because I have a bit of a problem....and a project I'm about to get started.

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was younger, but I put it aside for, oh, 8 or 9 years. She passed away a few years ago, and I wanted to start again...like taking up her mantle, I guess. Anyway, she made these BEAUTIFUL baby afghans with this wavy shell-like pattern. In fact, I have the last one she made, and I cannot for the life me of figure how (or remember) how she pieced them....worked them in rows (all one color) or in columns (a pattern of five colors) and then sews the columns together. I think I might have an idea, but I have been searching the internet for a few days now, and can't find a picture or pattern for one that looks like it anyway, and of course, my camera not working so I can't get a picture right now.

So, I guess I'm just saying "Hi!" and checking to see if anyone has made an afghan where you work the columns and then sew each column together. Either way I look at it, it seems difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahtchristina
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 11:42:42 AM »

I love that you're carrying on where your grandma left off...that's so beautiful.

Another great website to try is Ravelry.  It's a site for knitters and crocheters.  Once you have a profile there (totally free), type in "wavy afghans" into the search box.  The first one I clicked on was one continuous piece...you just have to know how to switch colors.  Hopefully this is the kind of pattern you're looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jsinclair
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 04:56:07 PM »

Already have done. Actually found Craftster via Ravelry (The Luna Scarf, to be precise.) I looked thru forty-eight pages of baby afghans. I'll try to get a pic up soon; it's really a lovely blanket, and maybe I can piecemeal a pattern together myself.

Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grannyt
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011 03:09:20 AM »

try  crochet pattern central     or  bevs country cottage  hope you find it. sounds like an antique pattern.does it look like a   mile a minute pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jsinclair
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011 07:11:12 AM »

success is mine, dear friends!

At the baby shower for the girl that the (unfinished) afghan is for, an older lady that also crochets was delighted by the turtle I made, and we started talking. (OK, everyone loved the turtle.) She said that it sounds familiar, and she had some old crochet magazines and she would look through them and loan them to me. Well, her daughter brought them by to my workplace and she said, "I think Mother found your afghan pattern, dear. Just use these as long as you like."

well, she didn't find the exact pattern, but there WAS (is?) a pattern for the shell motif! And it WORKS-- it looks just like the motif on the afghan Grandma Mary made, with one minor changes. I got six of the motifs made up last night, and now I'm just trying to decide if I should crochet the rows together or sew them. My friend Crystal and I are up in the air as to how GM assembled the blanket. However, we're also in the middle of a bathroom remodel (the sink started leaking and we found mold) so it might be later today before I can get some pics up.

Since I didn't make up the pattern myself, but modified it from an older existing pattern, would I be able to share it on this thread? I don't want to get in trouble.

Thank you guys so much for hearing me out. I'm going to go try and finish this row today. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Let It Slide Part 2/2 - Motion 3
How to Create 3D Text - Motion 3
How to Use DVD Studio Pro Part 1/2
How to Use DVD Studio Pro Part 2/2
How to Make a Lightsaber - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...