A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: is there a difference between a granny and a babette square?  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aimymichelle
« on: February 27, 2009 11:17:31 PM »

if so what is it? i want to make and afghan and i like the look of the babette square blanket but i don't want to buy the pattern i just want to wing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 07:45:45 AM »

I may not be the best person to answer this since I'd never heard of a babette square blanket until today.  But, after doing a google search, I came up with this link:  http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/babette,crochet and after looking over those afghans, I'd say the babette square blankets are made up of all different sized granny squares.  I think you could wing it by looking over some of these and then deciding how you want to lay yours out  - might be best to lay it out on graph paper first so you know how many of each size you need.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 08:18:57 AM »

Wow what beautiful blankets they are gorgeous but I would def block it out dont want to end up with to many small and not enough large. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Bellz
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 04:24:29 PM »

It's called a Babette blanket just because that's the name of the pattern of the blanket made with all different sized squares.
The pattern is found here:
http://www.interweavestore.com/store/p/738-Babette-Blanket.aspx
And here (if you have a ravelry account) you can see pictures of other people's babette blankets:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/babette-blanket
THIS ROCKS   Logged

birdsaremean
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 08:39:50 AM »

I love that pattern. I don't normally like granny squares too much but that makes them look really interesting. It seems like something you could do on your own with some basic granny square patterns in different sizes and some graph paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
measure-once-cut-twice
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009 08:53:32 AM »

I think it would be fairy easy to design your own using some graph paper. You could even search the internet for all those wonderful variations of a granny sq are make a different one for each sq. That's what I would do-- But I hate repetition!

On the graph paper if each sq represented 6", you could chart out 3" (1/2 sq), 6", 12", and even one or two 18" sqs. It would take a bit of adjusting to get the patterns to measure just right. However, if you have a 5" sq listed on the internet, just add another row or two . An 8"? leave off a few rows or use a smaller hook. Sounds like fun! Let us know what you decide!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bjrjames
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009 05:48:08 AM »

I have wanted to make a Babett blanket for a while, too.  Just looked at all 15 pages closely; if you look at them you will see that folks have used many different kinds of blocks to make their own variations of the pattern.  I don't think if would be very difficult to do.  I would not want to do all granny squares, but that is my personal opinion, some of the blankets were all granny squares - that's the beauty of crochet, you can pretty much do whatever you want.  Some of them were in color schemes, some used all the colors of the rainbow and then some.  I even printed a few pictures for inspiration and will use them when I start my own.  Go for it, use your own thoughts and inspiration, anything goes.  I loved looking at the skeins of yarn, stacks of blocks, and the many different variations of blankets.  Make it your own!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009 11:27:02 AM »

Also, rather than buy the pattern directly for $6, you can often find copies of the Spring '06 Crochet Today for much cheaper at your LYS or Ebay.

Part of the trick of the Babette is the large number of colors, though many people use fewer (I'm making one right now with half as many colors). Make sure you pick a yarn that has a wide color palette!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009 03:41:20 PM »

I've been thinking about making one of these for awhile. I'm in a couple of crochet-alongs here and on ravelry and plan to use 12 inch, 8 inch and 6 inch squares. I'm only using 5 colors, so am using different patterns to keep it interesting. Each square will be different. I think.

I remember reading somewhere about the babette pattern (can't remember where). They said an easy way to do it is to count rounds, not inches. Use the same type of yarn and same hook and you should be okay. It said use 2 rounds, 4 rounds, 6 rounds, etc. I think they used a pattern similar to the squares used in Inga's crocheted bag (there is a crochet-along here on craftster - the thread has a link to the pattern I think). A similar square is the "square target" (number 3 block) in the 200 crochet block book by Jan Eaton. But like mentioned above, you could use any square!

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
madidolly
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011 06:29:19 AM »

Go to this website blog http://www.alaskanpurl.com/p/designs.html then go to the right column and scroll down to Free Patterns and click on Granny's a Square pattern.  Not identical to babette BUT has three different size squares and is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...