A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: seed beading  (Read 699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amirals
« on: February 16, 2011 11:56:48 AM »

Hi
this is the question for those who work with sead beads..Is it too stressful for eyes..what are the precautions that you take in consideration?
Thanx
Amirals
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 07:41:11 AM »

Really good light - less stressful on the eyes, but also it lets you see your pattern better, and if you are working with many colours, lets you see the true colour of the bead better.  I like working by a sunny window, or I have a floor lamp with a redirectable task light to put over my work too.

A steady work surface too, with some kind of mat to prevent the beads from rolling around too much.  I like microfleece pads myself.  Different colours so that you can have a surface where the beads can stand out from.  Good posture too to prevent neck and shoulder strain.

A large supply of good sharp beading needles because that makes it easier to pick up the beads.  Good thread.  I have worked a lot with Nymo, but I am really digging the new Miyuki beading thread.  Also a good thread conditioner to prevent fraying and to allow you to weave in and out more smoothly - I use Thread Heaven.  Have tried bees wax and synthetic wax, but prefer the Thread Heaven.

If you are following a pattern, having a pattern stand or book stand helps so that you don't have to stop to flip pages or hold up the pattern to refer to it.

Also really good sharp scissors - it is a lot easier to thread the needle with conditioned thread and a fresh cut, plus good sharp small scissors to trim the stray threads after weaving.

If you are stringing a lot you may want to get a bead spinner - like this: http://www.beadfx.com/images/7509584.jpg.  Also, if you  are netting, or doing a weave where you have to pick up multiples of the same colour of bead, I find that if you pile them into a small pile, and then slip your needle through the pile, chances are you are picking up several beads at once, as opposed to picking them up one by one.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011 06:46:07 AM by rackycoo - Reason: please don't hotlink photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 11:15:06 AM »

I second what Onyxnox says.  Good lighting is very important.  I frequently use a bead spinner- I love it!  Definitely take care of your back and neck.  If you're doing beading for a while, make sure you take a break every 15-20 minutes.  Stand up, walk around, do some stretches, etc. 

I have really good ideas, so using the smallest of seed beads doesn't bother me much.  If you do need some help, I wonder if using a desktop magnifier like this would help:  http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203661751&pnr=24R&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-TheFind-_-24R-_-product
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011 09:42:12 PM »

Some of the crafting task lights - I think Ott Light may be one have something I personally would like - the light, and a couple of arms - one to hold a pattern, another with a magnifier.  I think it was designed for cross stitchers/needlework, but it probably would be pretty great for beaders too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backgammon Doubling Cube
Backgammon Game: The End
Backgammon Board: Pieces And Parts
Backgammon: Playing The Game
Backgammon Opening Position
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...