A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Iron For The Money?  (Read 1322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrazyBeagleLady
« on: February 16, 2011 09:05:34 AM »

I am in the market for a new iron--currently I have a Shark that I purchased from Target over 5 years ago and it is just about to die.  I have always wanted a Rowenta, but want to know if anyone out there has another brand that they adore?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plum Patchwork
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011 06:01:12 PM »

I'm a quilter, and I've found over the last 10 years that it doesn't matter what kind of iron I buy, it starts to leak or die within about 12 months.  After spending a ton of money on a high-end Rowenta and having the same thing happen, I just buy $20 irons and replace them. 
It might be different for other kinds of sewing, though.  When I quilt, my iron is *always* on, for many hours at a time.  I tend to burn out the heating elements.  I'd be interested to hear some garment sewers weigh in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011 09:28:13 PM »

I've had the same Black&Decker Travel-Pro my mom bought me for Air Cadet camp for... holy carp, 13 years. It's relatively small with a folding handle, and other than some occasional spitting, it still works just as well as when new. The teflon is completely gone (due to my own stupidity in the relatively recent past), but it only rarely sticks, and then only on synthetics if I have the temp too high. It doesn't seem to be commercially available any more, though.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006AMJP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I iron clothes and fabric, but I don't sit there with it on for longer than necessary. If I'm ironing seams while sewing, I walk away for the 2 mins it takes to warm up, or turn it on right before I pin the seam that will need to be pressed. It's been dropped, fallen, thrown by a cat, sat in storage, and been all over Ontario with me.

My boyfriend's mother, who quilts, HATES ALL IRONS. She had the same one for years and years, and it finally died. Then she promptly went through 4 or 5 irons, or more, I honestly don't know. Some of them were returned to the store within weeks of being bought because they didn't do whatever it was she had expected of them. And these were like, $80+ irons!

I will definitely buy another B&D when it becomes necessary, but like all tools and gadgets, it seems like they just don't make them the way the used to. Planned obsolescence and all that.

Anyways, there's my 5 cents Tongue
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 02:45:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nonesuch
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011 11:38:13 AM »

Purchase Rowenta at your own risk.  About half the people I know who have were deeply disappointed, myself included.  The burst of steam worked only for a few weeks, and the iron leaked to the point of being unusable in a year.  Every single iron I've ever had was superior to Rowenta, even the cheap ones.

For about the same price as a Rowenta, you can get a gravity feed steam iron.  They last a long time, are made to be on for hours at a time, and produce tons of steam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartist219
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011 02:34:26 PM »

I am a garment sewer, and I always buy the cheap stuff.

No matter what kind of iron it is, the steamer will always get gunky, and the plate will get scratched, and it's just better for me to get the cheap stuff, and use a spray bottle when I need steam.

I just spray the fabric with water, and run the hot iron over it.

I've ruined enough irons by dropping them, getting Heat N Bond on them, etc. I never spend more than $15 on an iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011 06:23:44 PM »

One major problem I've had with irons is that after I (inevitably) knock the darn thing to the floor a few times, the digital control crap doesn't work anymore. So the iron will change the setting it is on mid-task, or won't go to a certain setting, etc. If at all possible, try to find an iron that is controlled with a knob, not buttons. And look for the least amount of fancy technological hoo-ha because it always winds up breaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matchbook Canvas Art
How to Get Your Artwork Shown at a Gallery
How to Draw Bobo Haha from Generator Rex
How to Draw Botasky from Apocalypse Meow
How to Draw Generator Rex
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...