A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Asian Inspired Top  (Read 3488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MidoriMentality
[ midoriMentality ] & Randomly Taylor'd

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2011 07:25:10 AM »

I don't think i've posted on here a lot recently.  It's quite sad actually.  I have been busy with school and just kinda lazy in terms of making things and posting it.   Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I got an email from a lady who found me on a website called Skillpages.com (formerly weedle.com) and she asked me if I could make a variety of tops for her.  Last week through some procrastination and school I finally finished it and delivered it.  Granted, these photos aren't the actual finished shirt, considering I had to re-make the sleeves (they were too tight around, I measured wrong when I drafted them, so after redrafting and handstitching the inside of the cuffs again, I finally got it delivered.  I probably should have charged more than $45 for the thing, but she decided to spend like $60 on the fabric for the shirt (why I'll never know)  I used the pattern Desira from Burdastyle, but added sleeves that I drafted myself and used the pieces that were supposed to be cap sleeves for cuffs, which worked out nicely.  I also added the shiny blue and gold trim to the collar like she wanted.

The colour in the photos doesn't show the true colour of the shirt, it was a really pretty teal.

Anyway, Pictures. Comments and Criticism are welcome.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011 07:31:04 AM by MidoriMentality - Reason: just some photo fixes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011 07:58:55 AM »

This is absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE the fabric. I could stare at it forever *_* It goes really well with the pattern too, and the trim is a great touch. Soooo pretty Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011 08:52:55 AM »

What a lovely style and color!  The trim is to die for!

Was the fabric hard to work with?

You did a fabulous job considering how little she paid you for it...I am sure the details and the time you spent were way above that! Cheesy

The only minor thing I would point out for future reference is possibly the fabric pattern placement...not sure if it is just your dressform, but the triangles over the full part of the bust are a bit distracting Cheesy...when worn, I am sure they fall in a different place Wink

You certainly met the challenge---did you post the other tops she wanted as well?
Fabulous!

I have selected this piece as a MODERATOR's CHOICE!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=126339.msg1219613#
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011 09:06:28 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasstapper
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011 12:52:37 PM »

Beautiful! I can never understand spening so much on fabric, though. I'm always sewing to save money! And as far as the diamonds on the bust go, I don't find them distracting at all, there's so many that there was bound to be diamonds over something...

Great work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011 12:58:05 PM »

ha ha it could have been the circles falling on the wrong parts... Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidoriMentality
[ midoriMentality ] & Randomly Taylor'd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011 10:48:49 AM »

@oddacity thank you
@alwaysinmyroom the fabric wasn't hard to work with, it was a woven cotton with a print, actually pretty simple, I wanted to charge her more, but she started complaining about how much she paid for fabric, but I do know she'll come back to me for more items, I spent at least 6 hours in total on the project, and Jack (my dressform) has broader shoulders than the woman I made the top for, where the pattern is falling in the photo actually didn't look like that on her. and thanks Smiley
@glasstapper I can never bring myself to spend that much on fabric and only 3 yards of it too, i'm sure the trims she purchased was around 8-10 dollars for the whole amount she got, when I buy fabric I go to the sale section, remnants bin and I have a discount card that I use whenever I go shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011 11:13:20 AM »

Well, it looks way more expensive and she got a great deal, so she better come back for more! Cheesy

I find it odd that she would complain since she is the one to pick out the fabric!!! many seamstresses do the fabric shopping and then ADD a percentage to it for the time to find the fabric!

Trims can be so expensive!  But it does make the top very special and unique!

I personally do not think sewing clothing is less expensive than buying it unless you are talking about doing knock-offs of high end clothing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plus9
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011 07:30:16 AM »

Fabulous!!! It look very neat work. I think when you wear, it will be outstanding and look charming.  Shocked  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j.goop
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011 09:18:12 PM »

lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewCraftyDonna
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011 10:52:52 AM »

Beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Halloween Decorations
How to Make Gumball Costume For Halloween
How to Silk Dye Eggs For Easter
How to Upcycle Plastic Bottles Into Flowers
How to Make Creative Birthday Invitations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...