A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earrings  (Read 913 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zefiryn

Oooo something shiny...where?!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 15, 2011 10:47:29 PM »

I'm half Athabascan (Alaska Native) and live in Alaska. A few years ago my grams passed away. This spring is her traditional funeral in the village our family is from. Something that the surviving family does is makes gifts for the members of the village, because they pay for the funeral or help organize it. I think also it helps with the mourning process. A traditional funeral is typically held 3 years after a person dies (at least what my aunties and uncles tell me). These gifts are given out at a large potlach. I'm not very good at beadwork or other traditional Athabascan crafts, so I decided to do a little chainmaille. I've been doing chainmaille for about 5 years now.

Here are a couple examples of earrings that I made. My husband and 13 year old daughter helped me out. We made 100 pairs of earrings. (There's about 330 peaople in the village total.) I'll take more pics in the morning and share.  All of the earrings are on surgical steel french hooks.

Those are a little half byzantine pattern I guess you could call them.  I made other designs but didn't really think about taking pics until tonight. All the earrings made were super simple, since we needed to make a bunch.

More earring.
These are called Shaggy Loops. I put beads on the dangling jump rings.

Byzantine

Some people like to call this a Japanese variant, but I call it a chain. Made with Bright Aluminum and Anodized Aluminum.

The whole cluster together.

I put them in their own baggies to make it easier to hand out. I considered just tying them with a piece of cotton yarn or punching holes in a blank business card, but before they can be handed out they have to sit outside over night. Being spring in interior Alaska, it could rain or possibly snow, so I settled on biodegradable plastic baggies. I'll be mailing them off on Friday from Fairbanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011 11:17:23 AM by Zefiryn - Reason: Added more pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011 11:03:22 PM »

Love the earrings, and it sounds like a nice tradition. Hope everything goes well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endymion
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011 11:08:34 PM »

These are SO pretty! Cannot imagine making 100 pair... What a lovely tradition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011 11:13:04 PM »

Those are lovely. I love chainmaille jewelry.

Yay, for Alaska! I was born and raised there up near Glennallen. Unfortunately I've been out of state for the last 2 years Sad I miss home! I really love some of the traditions there. I'm in Virginia now and it seems very odd to live where you don't know the whole community.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
kcartwright856
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011 07:52:04 AM »

I love how it seems so lovely and simple at the first glance, but reveals itself as dainty and intricate upon closer inspection.

Awesome work, and kudos for doing so many of them! Your grams would be so proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imera
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011 08:17:10 AM »

lovely earrings, and it sounds like a nice tradition, except the make 100 pairs. but it's a nice thing to do for the people that helps out with the funeral.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zefiryn

Oooo something shiny...where?!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011 11:26:12 AM »

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Grams would have loved them to bits, she was such a crafty person, knitting, crochet, beadwor, embroidery, basket weaving, and other things. (I know where it came from) Grin

@ Samantha_McKay: <3 Home misses you too! I'm a city slicker. Born and raised in Anchorage. My husband's work transferred us to Fairbanks, but oddly enough we're closer to even more family now than in Anchorage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
How to Make Daffodil Decorations
How to Make Tissue Paper Carnations
How to Make Tissue Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...