well I just finished this and I'm really really happy with it. It happened in a flurry of activity and inspiration that came from staring pointlessly at the tv all morning...however that happened. Anyways, I made it out of some electrical fence wire (one good thing about living on a farm) and some old lightbulbs made into vases, well two lightbulb vases, and one normal lightbulb which has yet to be hollowed out. I think if I were to make another I'd use another type of wire though, something more bendable. I had to use a freaking vice to squeeze the wires tight enough to stay in place.
Lacking real flowers I used some dandylions, which ended up looking better than expected...go figure.
To hollow out the lightbulbs:
(sorry no pictures, I tried but they only made it more confusing so I will use the power of WORDS!)
1. find a lightbulb...burnt out or not doesn't matter really
2. use a set of pliers to take of the little silver part at the end. once you get the ends bent up a bit just give it a little wiggle with the pliers and it should come out.
3. hold the black (which turns out to actually be purple) part over a candle or some sort of flame. promptly run cold water over the glass part, if it makes a cracking noise don't freak out..its the black part not the glass..usually.
4. find something, I use a steak knife, to break the black part. It's usually just a matter to gouging at it to get it to break and come out, the pliers will also come in handy. remember: grip the lightbulb by the metal part NOT THE BULB
5. now theres the glass part thats up inside the bulb, use the tip of your knife or whatever you find most useful to break this. usually a few good solid, but not too hard taps will do it. after its broken use the pliers to take it out. remember you might have to break it into a few pieces to get it to come out.
6. now you have a hollow light bulb. this is the best time to clean up the hole part and get any stray pieces of glass.
7. rinse out the white powdery stuff with some water for those bulbs with the white frosted stuff in them. to get any of that persistent white stuff out fill a little bit of the bulb up with salt, sugar, hell ive used rice before and shake it around. fill with water and shake it around, then just rinse them out.
8. let it dry
9. make something wicked cool