A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fence wire + lightbulbs = awesome (now with "how to hollow out lightbulbs")  (Read 61722 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

naftey
« on: May 30, 2005 09:48:20 AM »

well I just finished this and I'm really really happy with it. It happened in a flurry of activity and inspiration that came from staring pointlessly at the tv all morning...however that happened. Anyways, I made it out of some electrical fence wire (one good thing about living on a farm) and some old lightbulbs made into vases, well two lightbulb vases, and one normal lightbulb which has yet to be hollowed out. I think if I were to make another I'd use another type of wire though, something more bendable. I had to use a freaking vice to squeeze the wires tight enough to stay in place.

Lacking real flowers I used some dandylions, which ended up looking better than expected...go figure.

To hollow out the lightbulbs:
(sorry no pictures, I tried but they only made it more confusing so I will use the power of WORDS!)
1. find a lightbulb...burnt out or not doesn't matter really
2. use a set of pliers to take of the little silver part at the end. once you get the ends bent up a bit just give it a little wiggle with the pliers and it should come out.
3. hold the black (which turns out to actually be purple) part over a candle or some sort of flame. promptly run cold water over the glass part, if it makes a cracking noise don't freak out..its the black part not the glass..usually.
4. find something, I use a steak knife, to break the black part. It's usually just a matter to gouging at it to get  it to break and come out, the pliers will also come in handy. remember: grip the lightbulb by the metal part NOT THE BULB
5. now theres the glass part thats up inside the bulb, use the tip of your knife or whatever you find most useful to break this. usually a few good solid, but not too hard taps will do it. after its broken use the pliers to take it out. remember you might have to break it into a few pieces to get it to come out.
6. now you have a hollow light bulb. this is the best time to clean up the hole part and get any stray pieces of glass.
7. rinse out the white powdery stuff with some water for those bulbs with the white frosted stuff in them. to get any of that persistent white stuff out fill a little bit of the bulb up with salt, sugar, hell ive used rice before and shake it around. fill with water and shake it around, then just rinse them out.
8. let it dry
9. make something wicked cool
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005 08:17:23 PM by naftey » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005 10:01:37 AM »

ooh thats snazzy!
i bet it would look cool with coloured water in there too, maybe even instead of flowers.
i'm also enjoying your window view. its quite a step up from my "apartment block with parking lot" view. makes me miss living in the country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
DeadTrouble
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005 12:21:10 PM »

Wow, that is amazing!

How did you hollow out the lightbulbs?

From your title, I expected some wierd sort of lamp, with live wires and lightbulbs all over the place...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ugh!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005 02:06:03 PM »

Yeah, those are pretty. I like them alot.
I would also like to know how you hollowed the bulbs out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green_day_gurl_
Daddy's Little Defect.

If everything's embarassing, you'll never have fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005 05:06:31 PM »

so pretty!   Cheesy

I wanna know how you hollowed out the light bulbs too, since everyone else is asking, haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I am I because I am I and you are you because you are you, then I am I and you are you. However, if I am I because you are you and you are you because I am I, then I am not I and you are not you."
-Rabbi Menachem Mendl of Kotzk

.::Renae::.
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005 05:09:12 PM »

Yeah, how do you hollow out lightbulbs???...I wanted to know since like forever ago...and you just reminded me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
AshGav
Dance like no ones watching

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 05:18:41 PM »

I'm with everyone else....how did you hollow it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Straight NOT Narrow
Rainbows make me happy
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005 01:33:27 AM »

what an excellent way to recycle.  and i love the idea of using a suction cup to stick it to a window. Outstanding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
naftey
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005 04:21:40 AM »

Thanks everybody for all the positive feedback! I can see several of my friends getting these for house warming presents when we all move in the fall.

I hope the how-to isn't too confusing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005 05:36:31 AM »

very nice, what a cool idea.... & I happen really to like dandylions
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Squash and Mushroom Pasta Recipe
How to Make Steamed Salmon and White Beans
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage
Is Chicken Soup Actually Good for the Cold?
Limited Edition Starbucks Metal Gift Card Sells Out in Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...