A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Accepting credit cards with just a laptop?  (Read 5486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2011 03:50:22 AM »

Is there any way you can accept credit card payment using a laptop with wifi at a craft fair (without having to buy a card reader)?  Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Claire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co. uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011 05:25:09 AM »

I saw someone do something like this as a craft fair. They had the laptop set up so someone could.use their paypal account and choose instant delivery or something like that. I'm sure there's a way to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011 08:34:06 PM »

If you have an iphone OR an ipod, you can get the squareup for free!  It accepts CC with a simple swipe, go to squareup.com for more info.  I am currently using it for my newly opened 100% handmade store.  The fees are so reasonable too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011 11:06:10 AM »

If you have an iphone OR an ipod, you can get the squareup for free!  It accepts CC with a simple swipe, go to squareup.com for more info.  I am currently using it for my newly opened 100% handmade store.  The fees are so reasonable too.  Wink
you wouldn't happen to know of something similar for android phones or such by chance?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011 09:25:01 PM »

I just poked around the squareup site and it'll work on Android phones too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
crafty gurll
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011 07:11:57 PM »

It really is easy!  You will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011 07:48:53 AM »

I just poked around the squareup site and it'll work on Android phones too.
Awesome! I'll have to look into it. I'm thinking this may be one that hubby and I looked into before but we where hearing that no one had gotten their little dongle to make it work. Maybe they are finally sending them out! Will definitely check it out again.
It could also be something totally different. I've looked into a few things all ready but none looked reasonable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011 09:40:44 PM »

I just used the square for the first time this weekend, and I loved it!  It works on any smart phone or iPad, and the fees are so reasonable.  They don't even charge you for the swiper!

Before I had that, I used my laptop and did everything through PayPal.  It worked but could be a PITA if the customer didn't have a PP account.  You have to send them a bill, and then they have to go into their e-mail and follow the link.  I got caught in a few places without wifi, so I was SOL.  I have the first iPad, so to get around that problem I bought a mifi from Verizon.  There are some customers who like using PP, and now I have the option to go either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
joelstitch
Post-Apocalyptic Gear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011 05:04:24 PM »

I just used the square for the first time this weekend, and I loved it!  It works on any smart phone or iPad, and the fees are so reasonable.  They don't even charge you for the swiper!

Before I had that, I used my laptop and did everything through PayPal.  It worked but could be a PITA if the customer didn't have a PP account.  You have to send them a bill, and then they have to go into their e-mail and follow the link.  I got caught in a few places without wifi, so I was SOL.  I have the first iPad, so to get around that problem I bought a mifi from Verizon.  There are some customers who like using PP, and now I have the option to go either way.

Square doesnt work with any smartphone, only iPhone, iPad and Androids. For other smartphones you can use ROAMpay but you need a merchant account.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011 05:22:45 AM »

Thanks for the advice (sorry it took so long to respond) my partner just got an android phone so we'll have to give it a go!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co. uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chuck Thompson on the Creation Museum
Chuck Thompson on the Six Mosques in Mobile
Chuck Thompson on Southern Stereotypes
Danny Dreyer on What to Eat Before a Run
The Best Cross Training and Strength Training for Runners
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...