A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kenwood House in Blackwork  (Read 10754 times)
Tags for this thread: blackwork , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011 11:39:58 AM »

This is absolutely amazing! I love blackwork, but I've never tried it because I can just see myself getting frustrated with the tiny stitches and slow progress. Great job!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011 12:12:41 PM »

Beautiful work!

Maybe a white mat and white frame? I think a large-ish mat would help you really focus on the wonderful embroidery work.

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011 03:25:42 PM »

Awe-inspiring and mesmerizing.  I can't believe the patience and attention to detail.  Be proud!

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011 03:28:41 PM »

I love blackwork!!
Nice job! Smiley

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011 07:31:45 PM »

that is beautiful

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011 07:07:28 AM »

Thanks very much for all the comments Im overwhelmed! When youve finished a project you naturally want other people to see it and admire it, and Craftster is the right place to find people who appreciate the work that went into it.

Someone asked how big it was. The actual design, not counting the white border round the edges, is about 26 x 31 cm. (10 x 12 inches). I did it on 14 count Aida using 2 strands of DMC thread.

One person said she thought shed get frustrated with the tiny stitches, but the truth is blackwork is very quick and easy to do. It doesnt require nearly as much concentration as elaborate cross stitch designs, where you have to keep counting and changing the colours. Once youve started a new pattern, for instance a border or a filling stitch, you can do it more or less automatically while youre chatting with a friend or even watching TV.

I also found the suggestions about frames very helpful. It made me realise I wasnt being adventurous enough about colours. I liked someones suggestion of a silver frame; that seemed to me a good idea well, not real silver, but a wooden frame painted silvery grey. I had a look in the framing shop today, and I realised they have a huge choice of styles and colours. I liked one they had in black and gold, but I havent ruled out green or dark red. Ill certainly be able to find something there, and I think theyll advise me too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011 08:59:28 AM by anna_lowenstein » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011 08:36:08 AM »

Your project is very beautiful.  I've been looking at books on blackwork at amazon for a couple of weeks now, thinking that I want do so some in the near future..

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011 08:56:21 AM »

If you're looking at books, I recommend the one I mentioned above: "Blackwork" by Lesley Wilkins. Most of the borders and filling stitches in my design came from her book, including the one with the birds which a couple of people commented on very favourably.

I also have "The New Anchor Book of Blackwork Embroidery Stitches", and I used a couple of their filling stitches (they're the ones to the top left of the fountain), but I found the stitches in that book less imaginative than the ones in Wilkins' book. I also have "Blackwork" by Lesley Barnett. It has nice pictures and gives you an idea of really original things to do with blackwork, but from a practical point of view it's absolutely useless.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011 01:06:40 PM »

Stunning! I love how simple the black and white looks, when in fact the stitching itself looks really complex.

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011 11:48:23 AM »

This is fantastic work, well done.  I think it would look lovely if it was in a dark mahogany colored wooden frame.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Pysanky Ukrainian Art
The History of Cuban Art - Part 1/2
Karel Funk - Artist Profile
David Altmejd Profile
Vik Muniz - Artist Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...