A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OH NO! MY BF'S SICK! (a nose clearing potato soup with room to make it your own)  (Read 822 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , soup , potato  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mibismogger
« on: February 14, 2011 07:21:07 PM »

So happy Valentines day to me, my boyfriend has fallen ill. So I asked him this morning if he wanted me to make him some soup (everyone needs soup when they're sick) and he seemed pretty happy about the idea. I usually make this pretty fattening delicious baked potato soup, but I figured that wasnt really what he needed just now, so I made a variation. It came out very colorful and tasty

Ingredients (I dont believe in measuring so these are all what I guess them to be, really it's all for your individual tastes)

3 large red potatoes 6 small purple potatoes
4 medium yukon gold potatos
a bulb and a half of garlic (NOT individual cloves) minced
2 tables spoons of each rosemary, parsley, sage, and oregano (again, go by your tastes, this was pretty strong but my guy, roommate and I all thought it was pretty good)
Between a quarter and half a gallon of milk, depending on the thickness, I used about a quarter gallon.
Half a large red onion (I'd guess this was about a cup and a half) chopped
about half a cup of butter
about a quarter cup flour (optional, for thickness)
About a cup of shredded gouda
About a half cup mozarilla

1.) First things first, stab a few holes in each of the potatoes and either bake them in the oven or microwave them between ten and fifteen minutes. Let them cool enough so you can touch them without pain and chop them into varying sizes. You can do them uniformly if you want, but I think the textures a bit better if you have them vary. Set them aside.

2.) Now, saute the onions and garlic in a little bit of butter until they are soft, while they are cooking add the herbs in and continue to cook. Once the onions begin to brown take them off the heat and put them in a bowl. (at this point the smell made my roommates very interested in what I was doing, we have a fondness for garlic here)

3.) Melt the rest of the butter in the pan you wish to use to make the soup its self, I used a dutch oven. Once melted stir in the flour, it'll make the soup thicker later. Once that's all mixed add in your garlic, herb and onion mixture. There, you have the base for your broth Smiley

4.) Add in your milk, stir it constantly, do not stop, it will burn. Cook on medium high heat until the milk is hot, but not boiling.

5.) Stir in the medely of potatoes, go slowly so it doesnt splash. That's never fun to clean. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, to rewarm the potatoes and have them fall apart a little to thicken the soup even more. I like thick soups.

6.) Lastly, you stir in the cheeses. The original recipe called for cheddar but it doesnt melt quite as well as these.

Michael said he prefered this version to the original, he was pretty stuffed up so it was something that he could actually taste. All the garlic and onion helped to clear up his nose as well. (also like every young man on earth he eats like a black hole and he was full after only 2 bowls, so it is pretty filling). Last time I made something like this I added in finely chopped sundried tomatos, to mixed reviews. I thought it added a nice tangyness, but the picky eaters/men in the household didnt really like it as much as my female roommate and I. It's all up to you from now dear crafter, go nuts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011 04:03:06 AM »

yum!  sounds awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Lelouch
How to Draw Alucard
Supervillain Origins: Rhino
How to Draw Zack Fair
How to Draw Near of Death Note
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...