A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Art Quilt Swap 4 (Sign-ups CLOSED, Sendouts April 6)  (Read 40135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2011 07:49:31 AM »

Sloth and Waggonswest, this is my fourth round of the MAQ and I have been in your position every time. BUT! This round I decided to throw caution to the wind and just go with it! I'm having fun, so I think you should go for it too!

DO IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2011 07:53:06 AM »

I must say Sloth, and Waggonswest... That I Believe In Your Ability to do amazing work! You CAN Do It!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2011 08:18:28 AM »

to paraphrase...  The first cut it is the hardest....

I'm just sayin'. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
tristitia

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2011 08:25:48 AM »

I've had a bit better luck with my third (!) attempt at what I've been trying - but I'm still not sure it's going to work out as planned...  I may have to switch gears after all, but I don't really want to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erica_tattoos
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2011 10:01:33 AM »

ha! there are NO fabric stores where i live. and i'm not exaggerating. NONE. there's a walmart about 30 min east of here that has a (very) limited selection, or there are hobby lobby & michaels' stores 2 hours north, or 1hr 45 min south of where i live. fortunately i was passing within 15 minutes of the one in monroe, LA on my way down to my aunt's for mardi gras this weekend! so i did a swing thru there and bought some really awesome stuff!!!  Grin Grin Grin i had a basic idea in mind before i went, but sifting thru and picking out what i liked that "went" with each other and with my theme has really firmed up the visual image of the quilt in my head. gonna try to get a "real" layout built today after work and start cutting later in the week...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megstar
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2011 12:01:41 PM »

I must say Sloth, and Waggonswest... That I Believe In Your Ability to do amazing work! You CAN Do It!

ditto!!  whatever you do will be fabulous, i'm sure Smiley

i'm also struggling with the lack of a good fabric selection for the last few bits of the MAQ...will be hitting ANOTHER store tomorrow (newer, bigger, hopefully better!) in hopes that i can finish up the piecing this week.

for those that have used embellishments on a quilt before, do you add these BEFORE the batting/backing/quilting (which i am concerned may cause trouble with the sewing machine), or do you sandwich the top/batting/backing together and sew embellishments WITH the quilting (which i am concerned will leave an ugly back if my knots/stitches aren't perfect)?  any help/input would be appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an anthem = the bottom of an ant's pants Smiley
mandys_momma
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2011 01:53:39 PM »

That's a good question, megstar. I need the answer also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2011 02:30:33 PM »

i plan on making my top, adding some appliqu. then sandwiching and quilting. then any embellishments i need to add will be hand sewn just making sure to go thru the top layer.

i think.  they way this one is going.  the quilting will be light.  and not the main feature of this quilt. Smiley

but i have never made an art quilt before.  so the experienced ones should answer too please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
erica_tattoos
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2011 03:32:28 PM »

for those that have used embellishments on a quilt before, do you add these BEFORE the batting/backing/quilting (which i am concerned may cause trouble with the sewing machine), or do you sandwich the top/batting/backing together and sew embellishments WITH the quilting (which i am concerned will leave an ugly back if my knots/stitches aren't perfect)?  any help/input would be appreciated Smiley

hmmm.... well, i'd say to do all the embellishments first, then sandwich and quilt, for the same reason you mentioned - i want a pretty back. but then, i'll be doing my quilting by hand. i'm never totally satisfied with my machine-quilting skills and i'm a tad neurotic. maybe if i was gonna quilt first and then add embellishments if it doesn't stand out too bad i'd use thread that matched the backing instead of the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2011 03:57:15 PM »

I've seen quilts done in both ways.  Some that are machine quilted have very tiny neat stitches for the embellishments on the back.  I've seen them with huge stitches on the back running between the stuff on the front.  I've been surprised at the mess some well-followed quilters leave on the back.  However, I think it is possible to put them on after you quilt as long as you are aware of what it is going to look on both sides.  I've been practicing pulling the knots through on some other pieces in the hopes that I can do a good job. The real reason for that is because I am going to do machine quilting on mine and I don't want to risk my machine or my embellishments. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Happy Birthday on Violin
How to Play Ode to Joy in Violin
How to Play Old McDonald Had a Farm in Violin
How to Play Rocky Top on the Fiddle Violin
How to Play Silent Night on the Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...