A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Art Quilt Swap 4 (Sign-ups CLOSED, Sendouts April 6)  (Read 49444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2011 04:03:07 PM »

I must say Sloth, and Waggonswest... That I Believe In Your Ability to do amazing work! You CAN Do It!

ditto!!  whatever you do will be fabulous, i'm sure Smiley

i'm also struggling with the lack of a good fabric selection for the last few bits of the MAQ...will be hitting ANOTHER store tomorrow (newer, bigger, hopefully better!) in hopes that i can finish up the piecing this week.

for those that have used embellishments on a quilt before, do you add these BEFORE the batting/backing/quilting (which i am concerned may cause trouble with the sewing machine), or do you sandwich the top/batting/backing together and sew embellishments WITH the quilting (which i am concerned will leave an ugly back if my knots/stitches aren't perfect)?  any help/input would be appreciated Smiley

From trial and error.... I get everything on the top before quilting. The quilting on mine are not great detail, they have been more art with light quilting which I have been able to get around all of my embellishments when I sandwich and quilt it. I like a neat back also and my first one that onegroovyday received is not so terrific looking on the back but the front looks terrific! That really is all that matters that the front looks good. Ok, there's my input! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2011 04:56:29 PM »

I must say Sloth, and Waggonswest... That I Believe In Your Ability to do amazing work! You CAN Do It!

ditto!!  whatever you do will be fabulous, i'm sure Smiley

i'm also struggling with the lack of a good fabric selection for the last few bits of the MAQ...will be hitting ANOTHER store tomorrow (newer, bigger, hopefully better!) in hopes that i can finish up the piecing this week.

for those that have used embellishments on a quilt before, do you add these BEFORE the batting/backing/quilting (which i am concerned may cause trouble with the sewing machine), or do you sandwich the top/batting/backing together and sew embellishments WITH the quilting (which i am concerned will leave an ugly back if my knots/stitches aren't perfect)?  any help/input would be appreciated Smiley

From trial and error.... I get everything on the top before quilting. The quilting on mine are not great detail, they have been more art with light quilting which I have been able to get around all of my embellishments when I sandwich and quilt it. I like a neat back also and my first one that onegroovyday received is not so terrific looking on the back but the front looks terrific! That really is all that matters that the front looks good. Ok, there's my input! Wink

I'm the same way. I piece first, then put it together to quilt, sometimes heavy quilting, sometimes light. Depends on my mood and the quilt I'm doing. Of course, at the same time I recently figured out how to do the quilting part on my machine. I also just go around the embellishments.

The toughest part I always have is the binding, I'm not the best "bindest" out there. If I could have someone else do that part for me, I'd be good to go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2011 05:10:07 PM »

If I'm embellishing with buttons or beads- anything really awkward/dangerous to accidentally machine quilt over, I do that last. But lace and patches or soft things? Right on the quilt top while I'm assembling it. Same with embroidery. In fact, if I embroider on a quilt I do that bit first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2011 10:08:58 PM »

For some reason I stopped getting e-mails updating me about this swap. I think I accidentally deleted one without clicking the link. Oops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megstar
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2011 04:53:35 AM »

thanks for the input everyone Smiley  very helpful - i think i have a plan of action now!  can wait to see what my last choice in fabric store has to offer tonight, and then crafting like crazy this weekend  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an anthem = the bottom of an ant's pants Smiley
erica_tattoos
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2011 10:13:30 AM »

well, i got a miserable night's sleep last night, thanks to you guys. i decided i wasn't gonna get carried away and stay up till 3 or 4 am like i usually do when i first get moving on a project; i was gonna be a good girl and go to bed at midnight whether i wanted to or not. unfortunately, it made no difference! i went to bed like a good girl and then spent all night with my brain sewing and piecing and embellishing and applique-ing and everything else!   Roll Eyes

next time i'll just stay up so late that i'm too tired to toss and turn like that. at least when i'm exhausted at work the next day i'll have a sense of accomplishment to justify it!!!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2011 10:30:17 AM »

I'm at 85% for what I plan to do for my quilt. Thanks for everyone that's been talking when they quilt if they use embellishments. I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to use any, but now at least I don't have to ask the question first. For now though, I need to go through my stash and choose fabrics. I'm trying to avoid buying new stuff since I have too much in my little apartment as it is.Tongue Who knows, I'll probably discover fabric I totally forgot I had.Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2011 10:43:34 AM »

i love finding 'new' fabric in the bins.. Smiley

i love making scrap quilts just for that reason... my scrap bins hold all sorts of tiny treasures from when i started quilting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
PurplePaisley
« Reply #238 on: March 09, 2011 11:32:12 AM »

My MAQ is coming along great.!! Im surprised at how easy it has been. THis is my first attempt at this craft. Im about 1/2 way done. And as I go along I come up with all kinds of 3d options to add to it. So I will be off to the craft store again on Sunday (my day off). I hope I will be able to finish most of it by Monday, and I can ship out early within the next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #239 on: March 09, 2011 11:52:15 AM »

well, i got a miserable night's sleep last night, thanks to you guys. i decided i wasn't gonna get carried away and stay up till 3 or 4 am like i usually do when i first get moving on a project; i was gonna be a good girl and go to bed at midnight whether i wanted to or not. unfortunately, it made no difference! i went to bed like a good girl and then spent all night with my brain sewing and piecing and embellishing and applique-ing and everything else!   Roll Eyes

next time i'll just stay up so late that i'm too tired to toss and turn like that. at least when i'm exhausted at work the next day i'll have a sense of accomplishment to justify it!!!

Wink

I've soooo done this before too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wedding Pomander
How to Make Edible Halloween Decor
How to Make Hand Crafted Glitter Pumpkins
How to Create a Bib Necklace
Farm Themed Crafts Using Stencils
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...