So last year I went up to Seattle with my husband and a couple friends to the Steamcon II convention. I eat a good reason to dress up and make a costume or four.
A few months before my local steampunk group invited a sewing teacher to come down from Seattle and teach a corset making class. It was a one day crash course. We sent our measurements and she drafted the patterns and brought the hardware. We brought the fabric, thread, bias tape, and our sewing machines. About 9 hours later I walked out with a completed corset (almost... it took me less than 30 minutes once I got home to finish the bias binding.) I liked my corset and it fit great after making the alterations I needed (apparently I am a "busty gal" and I have no idea when that happened.)
I immediately went online an ordered all the hardware I would need to make three more corsets. And then I went looking for fabric to make a corset I could wear to Steamcon. The material for the corset inspired the rest of the fabric choices for the undershirt, bloomers, bustle skirt, and cuffs. I knew I wanted color for this outfit. I have enough all brown or black costumes.
Outside of Corset
Inside of Corset
I used some commercial pile of flesh I had lying around for the shirt. I just added a ribbon to in instead of using elastic in the neckline. This way I had some options when it came to how tight or loose the neckline was.
The bustle skirt was made using this attack:http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/burlesque_bustle_skirt
I added a little to much ease to my measurments and the layers came around the sides too far but it would take a lot of work to fix since there are so many layers to it. it is hard to see in the pics but the lace trim is a dark brown.
The bloomers... well I ended up using the Colette Patterns Madeleine Mini Bloomers pile of flesh but made them longer. I also had to make the fabric since I wasn't going to be able to find anything stripped and I didn't want to use a solid color. I also had to line them since the insides were a mess with all the seams and there was no way I was going to be able to thread elastic or ribbon through them with all those seams. I may re-do them at some point but I don't know in what fabric. You can't really see them in these photos but you could from straight on.
And I made a pair of cuffs... they really need to be lined though. They are really itchy on the insides.
And one more picture of me with my husband. I made his shirt from some duck fabric and a thrift store button down and some buttons. I used a Threadbanger attack for that one.
Oh and the hair falls were a great find. A woman was selling them at a convention I was at the weekend before Steamcon and they matched my outfit perfectly. The colors couldn't have worked better if they had been made for my outfit.
I was of course finishing the hand sewing of the bias binding on my corset as everyone was getting dressed to go get these pictures taken. I always seem to work up until the last minute. The cuffs were partly hand sewn on the car ride up as well.
Hope you all like it. Comments and critiques welcome. And suggestions on what to do with the bloomers.