A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Willow Weaving  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread: weaving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vicelikeplague
« on: February 07, 2011 08:09:32 AM »

Last summer my sister and I took a day course on willow weaving and both came back very happy with baskets we had made. 

The tutor of our course contacted us again to say that she was holding a half day class on willow weaving for christmas, so we both jumped at the chance to go back and have another go!!

although we made a number of different bits and pieces, I am particularly please with the willow chain I made.  We took lengths of prepared willow and wrapped them around a jar to get the circular shape, slid the willow of the jar and then wrapped the ends into the circle.  To make a chain, you follow the same process but thread the piece of will through the previous circle before wrapping it around the jar.  I then added a small star to either end using short lengths of the same willow and tied the ends together with raffia.

We decided to us it as a garland to decorate the curtain pole above our window, using ribbon to tie it on:

and putting a small beaded star in the middle (I also made the star!!)

The whole this looks like this (bad photo I know  Undecided)

We have decided to leave it up all year because we quite like the effect!!

After completing the beaded star, I go the bug for beading and found a wonderful kit at my local hobby store.  Following the instructions produced this:

Which I think is quite beautiful, but have only had the time to make one.  I am wondering about having a play with the beads and coming up with something else, but only time will tell!!

Along the theme of beading...

my sister and I have decided we will try to make something for our christmas tree each year.  So when we found this kit at a show we decided to buy it and have a play:

Again following the instructions produced this:

My sister had a play and came up with another design, but I didn't get pictures of that  Embarrassed

Lastly, I made this about 2 years ago.  I learnt bobbin lace as a child and decided to revisit it with a book found in the library, unfortunately this was the only piece I made as the book needed returning!

However, I think it is really cute, my little bookworm bookmark!:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

CAN YOU BE IN LOVE WITH A FORK?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011 12:38:06 PM »

I love the bookworm marker!  willow weaving sounds like fun. someone did dozens of willow loops and hung them from trees all along a particular road.  at first i thought they were some sort of voodoo, but now I believe someone was just being crafty and spreading it around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
imera
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011 03:40:55 AM »

Interesting, think I need to take a course on weaving in the future, looks interesting.

the Christmas ornaments are pretty, especially the first one, I'll be making one of them next year Cheesy And the bookmark, adorable Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Merging Layers in Photoshop
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...