A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hooded Sleeping Bag for Doxies (Updated with Tutorial and More Doxie Shots)  (Read 18179 times)
Tags for this thread: dog_bed , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 13, 2011 05:35:50 PM »

Opie is one of our mini-doxies and like all mini-doxies he loves cuddling, burrowing and being warm. He's constantly trying to crawl into my shirt to sleep while sticking his nose out the collar for air.

Since this usually results in scratches and dog drool on my stomach, I decided to use some leftover fleece to make him a little sleeping bag tonight. I added a hood so that he could be mostly covered but still have room for air.

He loves it and now our other doxie, Beatrice, is trying to crawl inside with him so I'll be throwing one together for her too Smiley.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a tutorial on the off-chance that you have dogs as cuddly as ours that are in desperate need of sleeping bags with hoods.

Supplies:
aprox 3/4 yard interior (something cozy) + 3/4 yard exterior fabric
thread
pins
cute doxie

Cut your fabric!
2 pieces of interior and 2 pieces of exterior fabric ~11"x20" (bag)
1 piece interior and 1 piece exterior fabric ~ 16" x 8" (hood)

Fold the hood pieces in half, right sides together. With the fold at the top, draw a semi-circle in the upper right and corner. Sew along the curve and down the other side. Repeat for both hood pieces.

Pin and sew the right sides of the two sewn hood pieces together. You'll only need to do this on the one side that has no seam. The other, still open side, will be sewn into the sack later.

Turn the hood right side out and topstitch along the edge. Set your hood aside for later.

Pin and sew the right sides of your interior fabric together along the 2 long sides and one short side. Repeat this for the exterior fabric.

Open up the exterior piece (but leave it inside out) and pin the exterior side of the hood into it. Start by pinning the middle of your hood to the middle of one of the exterior pieces. You can baste this now if that's easier for you.

Turn the interior bag piece right side out and put it inside the bag too. Pin this all the way around. You'll need to kind of pull the interior bag piece past the hood piece.

Now, from outside in, you'll have your exterior piece, your hood and then interior piece all pinned together. Sew around the top leaving a 4" or 5" gap for turning. I found it's easiest to leave the hole in the front where there is no hood piece to worry about.

Turn the whole thing inside out! Pin the opening closed and top stitch around again.

You're done!

Now just find a cute doxie and shove them in Smiley. See examples below.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011 02:07:48 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011 05:39:42 PM »

I gotta say I love every picture you put up of your doxies!! LOL so cute! Awesome job on the sleeping bag  Cheesy Brings their cuteness level up to x10 - it looks like a little doggie hoodie in the first picture  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011 06:17:06 PM »

Thanks, sheepBlue! I'm always looking for ways to up the doxie cute factor (aka humiliate them).

Mr. Lime left him on the couch like this before dinner and he was still sitting there when we finished - only he was asleep! Ha! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011 06:24:37 PM »

So sweet I think that I just got a cavity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011 07:03:34 PM »

That there is precious!

My friend's little 1 1/2 pound chihuahua might like one. Is there a tute or pattern I could borrow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011 08:06:25 PM »

OMG - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO cute!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to see a pic of the both of them sleeping in their bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011 08:23:28 PM »

That there is precious!

My friend's little 1 1/2 pound chihuahua might like one. Is there a tute or pattern I could borrow?

Oh yes, I'd imagine a chihuahua would love a hooded sleeping bag too.

I didn't use a pattern - I just winged it. It's really not fancy at all Smiley.

- I cut two pieces of the light pink fleece about 11" x 20" and one piece of dark pink aprox 16" x 8".
- I folded one long edge of the dark pink over twice and stitched to make a finished edge.
- Then I folded the dark pink over on itself (right sides together) to make a piece 10" x 6" and stitched up the unfinished edge with a bit of a curve around the top corner to make the hood a little rounded.
- I found this tutorial for a hooded towel that's actually pretty close to what I did (w/out the lining)... http://www.breakitdowndesign.com/Chapter_5.htm
- I sewed up the 3 sides of the light pink fleece, turned it right side out, folded over the edge of the opening and pinned the hood to the inside.
- Lastly, I stitched around the whole outside, finishing the edges while attaching the hood.
- And that's it!

Given how much Opie and Beatrice love their new sleeping bags, I think I'll be making more of these so I may get a bit fancier next time Smiley.

OMG - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO cute!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to see a pic of the both of them sleeping in their bags!

I'll get some! Beatrice is sleeping in her bag now with her face buried in Opie's bag! It would be a great photo op if only I could get to the camera without waking them up Smiley.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011 08:42:10 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011 09:52:06 PM »

Such happy puppy faces!  You should carry those photos with you all ways and flash them at people who are being mean and stun them with doxidorableness
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011 09:56:19 PM »

Given how much Opie and Beatrice love their new sleeping bags, I think I'll be making more of these so I may get a bit fancier next time Smiley.

I made another one - slightly fancier than the first couple fleece prototypes I made earlier tonight Smiley. I used the same measurements for this version but I lined the bag and the hood this time. I used a really annoying mink-ey fabric but it's nice and soft and Beatrice seems to approve.

I'm going to make a couple of tericloth ones next so they can use them after they go hot tubbing. Ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Just as I am
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011 10:29:41 PM »

Just too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eben Alexander Discusses His "Journey Into the Afterlife"
"CHEAT: A Man’s Guide to Infidelity" Infomercial
Annie Lederman Interviews Joe DeRosa on Cheat
John Norcross on Sustaining Behavior Change
The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...