A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plarn flowerpots  (Read 2180 times)
Tags for this thread: plarn , recycle , flower_pot , garden , vegetable , container , eco_friendly , spring_crafts , crochet , plastic , plastic_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 13, 2011 04:57:30 PM »

So we just bought our first house, but the hubs says I can't till up the yard to put in a garden. I've decided to expand on my regular container garden, but don't really want to buy a bunch of pots. I used plarn and crocheted these bad boys up. Am going to make several more. The mess on my table was purposely left for size reference (har). I keep getting questions, so here's what I know: a. The dirt doesn't come out of the holes. The holes aren't that big. There are two ways to fix this- line them with newspaper, which decomposes over the course of the growing season, or keep the soil moist. b. Watering is not a problem, depending on the plant I sometimes have to water a tad more than usual. Just don't use extreme water pressure.
Anyhoo, I think they're neat and wanted to share!

Has anyone else used these before? I'm always open to comments and suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011 05:15:17 PM »

That's a really cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fibreartist4life
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011 05:47:03 PM »

I'm going to just put myself out there and ask the question . . . what is plarn?  Love the pots - have you used these before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011 05:58:01 PM »

These are so totally cool. What I would be concerned with, is anything leaching out of the the plastic into food (or what will soon be) items. I have never tried this. But those bags are toxic to the breathing if you melt them.

I don't know what area you live in, but what I have found with my gardens, is if it is in the dirt, it does not need to be watered as much (middle TN). TALK HUBBY INTO LETTING YOU DO A LITTLE GARDEN OUTSIDE!!! There is a thing called square foot gardens (google, and they can direct you). You don't need a large area. You can plant in the dirt closer to spacing than the seed packs or plant room allows. And you save on water. And don't waste money or time for that. Nor the fact that this planet is running out of water.

When he gets a taste of your good cooking from your little garden, he will love for you to have more space. I do mine in two raised beds and a circle garden, and I get plenty more tomatoes, and cucumber, and beans, and squashes, than I need. My neighbors love me!  Wink (4 x 6 raised) + 4 x 6 (raised) + an 8 foot circle. It looks good in the front yard. Oh, yeah. The bean teepee. The kids love that one in the summer. A good place for a picnic. I even enjoy it.

You don't have to till your whole yard. I just back dig mine here, and things work fine. Again, not sure where you live.

*** Plarn is plastic yarn, cut in strips from recycled garbage/grocery bags. And then tied together into yarn to knit or crochet with (or weave), same as you would yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011 06:06:56 PM »

These are so totally cool. What I would be concerned with, is anything leaching out of the the plastic into food (or what will soon be) items. I have never tried this. But those bags are toxic to the breathing if you melt them.

And honestly, that was my concern as well. I asked my dad, who has degrees in agriculturey stuff, and he said there's nothing to worry about for a growing season. I've tried researching a bit, as well, and all I can find is stuff about cooking in those bags (who does that?!?!). I guess I'll continue to research, and if I find out bad things, I may just use them for non-food plants. But as of right now, I'm planning on putting veggies in them.

Oh, and coastal Texas. But we are in a heavily wooded yet suburban area, so I'm dealing with hardly any full sunlight, as well. He's made me promise not to dig this summer, and see how things lie, and we'll renegotiate for next summer.

And fibreartist4life- Like what stillatthetop said, plarn is old bags cut into strips and used instead of yarn. I have used these before, just on a much smaller scale (like little tiny windowsill guy). I'm hoping to go container garden in them, barring me turning up some scary research about the plastic.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011 06:11:30 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011 06:26:48 PM »

Well, I wish you luck with your experiment. It sounds like it might work well. Very pretty pots, whether indoors or out!

And another suggestion. Keep a journal of your light source in the yard throughout your upcoming seasons. You can place little flags or pinwheels in the yard for this, moving them to the edges of shade spots. And in April, June, early September...keep track of where your sun is/isn't hitting. This will tell you where to dig when you are ready. And sometimes you want some partial shade area for certain plants. I have that for my circle garden, half is shade for my squash which can get too hot here.

If you journal, this can make for some creative pages to keep track. Smiley And plan your next years. I love to sketch what is growing here. Even the weeds. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philippa Gregory Talks About The White Queen Characters
Laura Anne Gilman on Writing the Vineart War
Dannii Minogue on Her Book Dannii - My Story
Elegant Readings with Michael Ian Black
Peter Walsh: It’s All Too Much
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...