A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travel needlework case  (Read 3248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 12, 2011 03:41:54 PM »

So... I found a travel needlework case at a craft supply swap last weekend. It was really practical but also VERY ugly (and smelly). So, I tore it apart and used the basic shape as my pattern. This is what I came up with:

It's made out of pre-quilted fabric, has straps for carrying, one outside pocket, and a full zipper closure. (the sides actually line up really well- I don't know why they look wonky in the picture.)

Here's a close-up of how I did the zipper. Since the pre-quilted fabric had a different finished design on both sides, I didn't need a lining. This posed a problem when it came to putting in the zipper. I finally decided on using bias tape to hide the raw edge.

Inside there are several zip pockets and an open pocket. The vinyl thing in the middle is  binder pages for holding embroidery floss. I put a measuring tape next to it, so you could get an idea of the size.

Here's a close up of one side- you can see there is one large zippered pocked for holding tools, as well as an open pocket for whatever.

The other side just has one giant pocket. It can hold a few embroidery hoops in it. There is also a vinyl scissors holder on this side. Using the scrap fabric, I made myself a matching needle book.

I really LOVE this thing. I'm so SO proud of how it turned out. The zipper doesn't lay perfectly, but it's my first try doing anything like this, and I made up most of the the pattern... My husband and I are going on vacation next weekend and I'm so excited to be able to take my projects in such a cute case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011 08:40:53 PM »

I love your case - and great  job on the zipper.  I am not intimidated by flat zippers, but the curvy ones like this make me squeamish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Sharalee
http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011 08:41:40 AM »

Awesome job!! I love taken old things apart & making a pattern, great Idea!!! The curved zippers scare me a little bit too. Was it hard to put in? I love all the pockets, zippers & the vinyl ones too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins?filter=likes

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011 01:05:12 PM »

Thanks, guys!!

The zipper wasn't as bad to put in as I'd feared. I used one of wider, "parka" zippers (it was the only think that came in 34" length), and I think that helped. I put the zipper in using my zipper foot, but then realized I probably could have used the regular foot, as the zipper was so wide. I pinned the whole zipper, but only sewed it a few inches at a time... so that I could check to be sure it was where I wanted it. Hope that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leigh7911
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011 05:28:45 PM »

Love it, both the fabric and design! I could totally use something like this, my next two cross-stitches to do are both too big for ziplock bags, my typical oh-so-sophisticated method of keeping everything together. Roll Eyes Really great job. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyBeagleLady
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011 08:14:07 PM »

Great job!  I really like how you used clear vinyl for the interior pockets and the idea for the coordinating needle book.  What a fantastic way to finish off the zipper, too!  I will definitely have to keep that in mind for future projects  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011 09:59:41 AM »

That is just totally awesome! I think you should add your picture here so everyone can see it "in use". I really want one of these now!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 10:00:04 AM by pjherbert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011 03:28:02 PM »

WISTED!  Grin Grin Grin I COMPLETELY want need one!

x G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011 05:10:46 PM »

Here's the in-use picture. Smiley It's holding two hoops, floss, needle book, thread cutter, craft glove and a few other bits.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 05:11:26 PM by PirateColey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dry Brined Roasted Turkey
Three Things You Never Thought to Do with Thanksgiving Sides
Sweet and Spicy Pepper Jelly Recipe
Sourdough, Italian Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
How to Make a Broccolini-Cheddar Gratin With Rye Breadcrumbs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...