A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,353
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hair Degreaser?  (Read 4180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CeeJayRose
« on: February 12, 2011 10:07:16 AM »

My roots get greasy pretty quick and I already do use baby powder/cocoa powder to help...but is there anything else? Or some sort of spray that would help? I know I had bought this spray by Mark and it was called "Next Day Spray" or something and was supposed to help with that and it worked really nicely for a while, but then stopped. 

So is there anything I can MAKE to help degreasify my roots?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 02:44:35 PM »

Hmm I can't think of anything, I'll keep my eye out for a recipe though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011 08:40:03 PM »

You might try some arrowroot powder, kaolin clay or natrasorb mixtures. I bought a dry shampoo from Sallys that I like pretty well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011 01:38:20 PM »

How often do you wash your hair? Other people may attest to this as well, from personal experience I've found that the LESS I wash my hair  the less oily it is (I know it sounds weird but it's totally true). Something to do with shampoo ridding your scalp of it's natural oils and thus your body produces more perhaps? I don't really know. I still rinse my hair with just water and condition the ends pretty frequently, but as far as using shampoo - I actually only wash it 2-3 times a week. It does take some time to get used to, your body has to adjust, but in the end from what I've experienced it's totally worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
CeeJayRose
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011 03:44:23 PM »

Yes, it's because of the shampoo drying out the scalp which causes it to overproduce oil. And I don't use shampoo. I use conditioner only to wash my hair because shampoo dries my hair out too much and causes it to be staticy... I was my hair every second to third day. That's the max I can go. I've tried stretching the time between washes but I guess I'm just someone who's scalp doesn't agree with it. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011 08:02:39 AM »

Ok, well here's the thing: if you've only recently begun the no-shampoo thing, your body will take some time to adjust to it. It's "rebelling" so to speak. Until it reaches equilibrium, there's a few things you can do to help. 1- get a boar bristle or natural bristle brush and start using it a couple times a day. Make sure to pull the brush all the way through to the ends with each stroke, to distribute the oil from your scalp through your hair. 2 - Try rinsing more frequently, but instead of using conditioner each time, try some apple-cider vinegar (check out this post http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html for more info). Also, you said that you "use conditioner only to wash my hair" - are you applying the conditioner to your scalp? This could be a huge part of the problem, conditioner should be used on the ends of your hair only, or from about ear level down, as it causes the exact problem you are experiencing - more greasiness on your head! Once your body balances out and produces less oil, and you are distributing the oil from your scalp to the rest of your hair, you'll also eventually find that you have less and less need for conditioner.

Hope this helps you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
Moojoo
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011 08:14:03 AM »

Plain cornstarch might work better than the baby powder. Worth a try, anyway, it's certainly cheaper.

Also a few months ago I read about using baking soda and vinegar for your shampoo and conditioner. I tried it for a while, but it really wasn't moisturizing enough for the ends of my (quite long) hair. Anyway, you dissolve 1 Tbs of baking soda in about a cup of warm water, and 1 Tbs (I used a tiny bit more) of apple cider vinegar in a separate cup of water. Make absolutely sure ALL the baking soda is dissolved, otherwise it's like sanding your hair, and that's bad. Then when you shower, just get your hair wet and pour the baking soda over your hair, sort of rubbing it into your scalp like you would shampoo, and then leave it for a few minutes. I just went about the rest of my showering while I waited. Then rinse, and then pour the vinegar over your hair, again concentrating mostly on your scalp. If you don't mind the vinegar smell, don't rinse your hair.

The thing is, the first couple weeks you do this, your hair WILL be even greasier, since your scalp is still making a lot of oil to replace what shampoo strips away, but then it will get better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011 09:28:08 AM »

Baby powder is usually cornstarch + fragrance, or talc + fragrance. As far as what's cheaper, it depends where you shop. A container of baby powder at the dollar store may be cheaper than cornstarch from the grocery store bakery section. It also really depends on your personal preference - do you want to smell powdery fresh? As far as talc vs cornstarch, if you go looking for it you'll find lots of scare stories about talc and how it's carcinogenic etc, you have to make up your own mind about that. The main differences are: talc is a mineral while cornstarch is plant derived, and talc is smaller particle size so tend to feel softer. As far as which one works for you, just experiment with both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
CeeJayRose
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011 09:45:28 AM »

Ok, well here's the thing: if you've only recently begun the no-shampoo thing, your body will take some time to adjust to it. It's "rebelling" so to speak. Until it reaches equilibrium, there's a few things you can do to help. 1- get a boar bristle or natural bristle brush and start using it a couple times a day. Make sure to pull the brush all the way through to the ends with each stroke, to distribute the oil from your scalp through your hair. 2 - Try rinsing more frequently, but instead of using conditioner each time, try some apple-cider vinegar (check out this post http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html for more info). Also, you said that you "use conditioner only to wash my hair" - are you applying the conditioner to your scalp? This could be a huge part of the problem, conditioner should be used on the ends of your hair only, or from about ear level down, as it causes the exact problem you are experiencing - more greasiness on your head! Once your body balances out and produces less oil, and you are distributing the oil from your scalp to the rest of your hair, you'll also eventually find that you have less and less need for conditioner.

Hope this helps you!!

I've been using conditioner only for a couple years now. I have super long hair (to some, short to me. lol It's down to the bottom of my butt) and it cleans my hair like a charm. It even gets extra virgin olive oil out of my hair so I have no problem knowing that it cleans my hair very well. So the cleaning part I'm good on. Plus, using conditioner only is actually a VERY common thing among "long hairs". I'm part of a long hair community where a lot of people do this.

And I also have a boar bristle brush which I've found doesn't help too much.

And apple cider vinegar...I've used it before but usually only for help with dandruff/itchiness.

My hair is also quite fine so the greasiness shows up much more so than others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011 12:27:12 PM »

ah well it sounds like you're already pretty familiar with all of my proposed remedies sorry I couldn't help you :-( if you do come up with a solution please post it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Guess Which Cool Collaboration Olivia Palermo Is Wearing?
Emmy Fashions For Your Budget
A Statement Vintage Jacket That’s Perfect for Back-to-School
Fashionable Boots for Fall
Back to School Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...