A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: painting in books/sketchbooks?  (Read 656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gatheredthreads
« on: February 12, 2011 07:42:06 AM »

My 7 year old DD bought me a sketchbook for Christmas.  She was so excited to buy it for the project I am working on, so I'd like to use it if I can.  However, it's not really made for paint, so when I add acrylic gel medium, the page buckles somewhat.   

I can live with this, but is there any reason not to proceed?  Will it be less durable or anything?

Also, is there any way to minimize it - could I use something other than gel medium to prep the pages I'm going to paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.  ~ Dali
wist
RougeRaven
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011 07:13:16 PM »

I used gesso to prep my pages, if you find this makes the pages "woobly" you could glue 2 pages together.

I bought a sketch book because I loved the cover and later realized it wasn't meant for wet media so I cut out all the pages and used the cover to bind a new journal. You can use the old inside paper for another project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
shiny objectitis
Mel

Look! A distraction....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011 09:44:09 AM »

i paint in a lot of books...i skip the gesso altogether...i prefer watercolors and acrylics myself.

i use wax paper. just the plain ole kitchen kind. for minimal warping you can use a hairdryer. plus it speeds things along so you can move onto the next page. (i like to get my backgrounds done first)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurelShimer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011 10:38:51 AM »

I'm unclear what you do with the waxpaper? Do you do the work on the page and then fix the waxpaper over it? I LOVE waxpaper for crafts projects. Also I just started using it to transfer patterns from Burda (sewing) magazines. I known that sewing pattern paper exists, but really I do not need more speciality craft products that have only one purpose. Wax paper is good for so many things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop by and check out my art journal, simpleromantic.blog spot.com, and listen in on my romantic-adventure time travel stories PODCAST, by searching for my show 'Unpolished Performances' in the iTunes store.
shiny objectitis
Mel

Look! A distraction....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011 01:59:34 PM »

sorry....i use 2 sheets of wax paper underneath the 2 pages i am painting (i usually do 2 at a time)so it wont go through to the other pages. then i use the hairdryer on LOW and it reduces warping and i can get to the decorating part of the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011 04:10:12 AM »

I'm unclear what you do with the waxpaper? Do you do the work on the page and then fix the waxpaper over it? I LOVE waxpaper for crafts projects. Also I just started using it to transfer patterns from Burda (sewing) magazines. I known that sewing pattern paper exists, but really I do not need more speciality craft products that have only one purpose. Wax paper is good for so many things.

May I ask how you use the wax paper for pattern transfer? Thanks!
Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadhead06
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011 02:18:51 PM »

Gesso works great.  I have also found that coating a page with a layer of acrylic paint makes the paper stiffer.  You can also glue a couple of pages together then sandwich them between wax paper and lay something heavy on them while they dry to help prevent buckling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doodling with delight and convincing everyone else they can too at http://www.DrawingChick.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Grange Insurance Audubon Center: Interior
Case Study: Grange Insurance Audubon Center
COLOUR ONE Exihibt Setup by Scholten and Baijing
Preparation of the Installation COLOUR ONE For MINI
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...