A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spray Adhesives? Help Finding the Right Glue  (Read 443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissFlynn
« on: July 03, 2011 01:57:27 PM »

The Task: Securely adhering transparency prints* (or clear vellum) to paper scrapbook style without getting that gross dried milk smudgy look. *You know those overhead transparencies from grade school... I've been following the tips of other scrapbookers and printing cool designs and images on them for my layouts. It's a really neat effect, if only I could attach them.

The Problem: Many glues have issues drying due to lack of airflow (well it is plastic after all). White glues especially don't work even if they swear they'll dry clear because in the end you just get these gross smudges that look like dried milk scum. This is a problem since the transparency is... well transparent. I don't want these icky smudges ruining the effect!

-----

After some trial and error (and a mess of glue types) I found some things that work ok and some that don't at all, but I'd like to go further and find that PERFECT glue and figured all your paper crafters would be the best source of knowledge. (Plus I'm sick of wasting money on experiments... glue isn't cheap!) So far I've tried...

White Glue (Elmers and Tacky): This was the first thing I tried, since it SAID it would dry clear and obviously a huge NO as stated above. It dries in time, but it leaves behind a gross milky smudge look on the transparency.

Diamond Glaze/ 3D Crystal Lacquer: We had a bottle of this laying around in the craft bin so I gave it a shot. Now this might have dried clear and wonderful.... but it had a weird reaction with some of my papers since it was so much thinner. Warping and crinkling. D: No thanks.

Clear Glue (3&1 Craft): Went out and grabbed the best looking clear glue. This works! It dries 100% clear without the filmy scum, adheres fast, dries eventually and will be my fallback if nothing else works. The ONLY problem I have with this is that, since it gets tacky so fast (when they say fast grab they mean it! It's literally seconds before it tacks up), I don't have much time to smear it thin and micro bubbles form in the tacky goo mess. It's not a huge deal if this is the best I can do but if I can avoid it, that would be amazing. *I have yet to try a non-fast grab/ plain ol clear glue, but I'm considering it*

So then I thought- Hey maybe a spray glue would be better since it would go on super thin! I headed out to the store and when I was standing in an aisle of glue, staring at about 6 different spray adhesives I was like.... uhhhh *scratches head*. Krylon...a name I know. I was about to take this one but it didn't say clear anywhere and I was unsure. So I picked up the first one I saw that said CRYSTAL CLEAR. Ok so which? I guess I should go with the one that blatantly says it's clear. (I should have known better since it was Aleene's and that brand already failed me ;-;) I get it home and spray on a test sheet..... WHITE?! ugh. Pretty much tacky glue in thin spray form. No good.

So my good people, does anyone know of a good 'starts clear, ends clear' spray glue (or any good glue for adhering transparent films) to paper?

Thank you in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 MissFlynn

Hello, Monster on Etsy - Ferociously Cute Crochet
The Monster Blog
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011 12:18:51 AM »

You do know there are some adhesives you need to leave to get tacky first before sticking stuff together, right? Spray glue is one of those, it's only a few seconds, maybe a minute depending on the glue you use.

Also you can do the same for white glue: smear thinly on both surfaces, wait til it has only just gone clear, only then put together. And what's more, you won't have to buy any more glue to try it! The thinly really is important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MissFlynn
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011 07:31:13 PM »

I followed the directions: Sprayed 6-8inches away (short sweeping spurts like any spray), Let sit a minute. That didn't work well. Now I'm spraying more like 14-16inches away and letting sit ~2ish. This is giving me a much thinner application and working better, but it still looks fuzzy (what can you expect, it's clear plastic) in some cases. I think Aleene's just, for lack of a better word...sucks. I ended up buying a different brand and it works a lot better.

The 3&1 clear glue is still the best way to go, though this spray will do alright for some instances where there's less clear space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 MissFlynn

Hello, Monster on Etsy - Ferociously Cute Crochet
The Monster Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Monster Salt Crystals
How to Make Homemade Snow Globes
Snow Day Crafts for Kids
Arianna Huffington: Running for Governor
Arianna Huffington: 37 Rejections
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...