A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doilies shouldn't curl...right?  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OnePinkHippo
« on: February 11, 2011 03:52:44 PM »

Hello all, I really hope you can help me! I've been wanting to make a doily for a while, but have been more interested in reverse engineering one. I found one and started crocheting it, and everything was going fine until:

it curled. Somehow I don't think in progress doilies are supposed to do that. So I came up with a few possibilities of why, but am not sure which one works. I don't really want to frog it, but I know I have a tight tension, I might not have put enough chain stitches in between or I need to go up a hook size. I also thought about finishing and when I block and starch it it'll flatten out, but I don't have experience with doilies to know.

Can you guys help me? Huh (Oh there's another option: I'm going to test the pattern and was going to do so with a larger size hook and some DK cotton. Maybe if I do it that way I can find the problem?) Sorry if this is a lot of information; my crochet mojo hasn't been the best lately.  Undecided (And thanks in advance.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011 04:57:03 PM »

First off, I think you do have to frog it back to where it doesn't curl on you because doilies shouldn't do that.  Second, I've made lots of doilies and I have a very tight tension and they've never done this.  Somewhere you've made a mistake either in the amount of stitches or chains in a row.  Usually when you are making doilies, each row has more stitches and/or chains than the previous round.

I can't tell from your description if you are making up your own pattern or looking at another doily and trying to copy it but  if you are trying to copy one, go back and recount the stitches and chains because I'm pretty sure that's where the error is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011 06:13:57 PM »

I didn't think they would.  Undecided They're supposed to lay flat the whole time, right?

I'm looking at another doily and trying to copy, and I think you're right, not enough chains. I guessed more at the amount of chains, so frogging it is!

Thanks so much for your help!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011 11:36:20 AM »

Normally when crochet does this it's because you don't have enough stitches in your rounds.  If it were me, I'd rip back to a point where it's not curling and try it again, but with more stitches in each round.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011 05:35:59 PM »

Normally when crochet does this it's because you don't have enough stitches in your rounds.  If it were me, I'd rip back to a point where it's not curling and try it again, but with more stitches in each round.

Good luck!

Thanks! I was thinking that. I think it needs more chaining spaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 2
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 1
How to Find Wine Matches for Sushi
How to Make Mongolian Lamb
How to Make Balachaung
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...