A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clocktopi [Final Update] now with better Steamlopod pictures  (Read 1762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NightTerrorzChick
« on: February 11, 2011 11:10:38 AM »

{Final Update} These pictures are tons better than before. All the better to introduce you to the adorable family of steamlopods I created over the last week.

These little guys started with the Clocktopus. I wanted to hang something from the bottom of the watch-case, and came up with the idea with movable little tentacles. Putting the watch movement in the case and curling the tentacles was easy. Much harder was making loops for the o-rings and then figuring out how to make little suckers. The suckers were made from opened loops of a necklace chain. They took forever to open without breaking them and then gluing them on was painstaking as well.

Next is Clocktopus JR., who was much easier to put together. I had to grind down the watch movement a bit to get it to sit in backwards like that, but his tentacles were easier to deal with since they were made from much thinner metal which used to be clock hands. No suckers on this one because the tentacles are too small. Also, it had a backing that still fit on once I ground the edges of the movement down so it looks nice and finished.

The Ear-hugger Clocktopi were perhaps the simplest. Those little heart shaped cases came with tassels on them and I just twisted those around to make the tentacles. Some grinding was required here, too. I have no idea what was supposed to go in these things before since they are open on both sides. I popped out the glass on them to make the watch faces and movements clearer to see. Since they hang to the side when worn, you can wear these little dudes face or movement side out.

I made another little monster who was only easier than the first one because I had suffered through the first. I hesitate to call him a clocktopus because his head makes him look more like a squid. So perhaps he is just a steamlopod of some sort. He has the same chain link suckers and is generally similar to the others but I kept the plastic cover on the face of the watch case on this one because it was relatively clear, whereas the others were pretty cloudy.

Here is one of the not-so-bad group photos that is a bit better on detail:

And the final Clocktopus, the swinger:

I call him the swinger because the movement in his head is one of the self-winding kinds, so the half-circle plate will swing as he moves side to side. He is backed, has those most annoying little suckers (this time two different kinds that alternate on each tentacle because I didn't have enough of the same kind of links), and was a bit more obnoxious to make because the watch cover I used was from a pocket watch to I had to figure a way to get a loop in the top. Luckily there was a hole in the movement and I just had to widen the indent on the backing so that it would fit a big enough loop to hold him. I guess I could have made him a pin, but I didn't have any backings with me here. Maybe next one (if I make another, considering how much annoyances I have with these guys!)

I hope you enjoy their adorableness as much as I do! As always, any comments or suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011 04:53:00 PM by NightTerrorzChick - Reason: Better photos. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicoleburdsall

Happiness isn't good enough. I DEMAND EUPHORIA.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011 11:54:36 AM »

I WANT ONE! SO cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every single person has a secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion in the world."

50 things in 2012: List 6/50 Completed

Pintrest: http://pinterest.com/nicoleburdsall
Alchamy513
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011 12:00:42 PM »

Oh my lord I need one of these! Steampunk and cephalopods are my two favorite things ever!! They look awesome, this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011 12:16:18 PM »

Thank you guys! I'm trying to make as many of them as possible, and if I can manage to amass a large amount I may be willing to swap or list them up on etsy. I have a Convention coming up in a few months that I need a lot of things to sell at, so I'm being conservative with my items. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are precious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011 03:09:05 PM »

really cool! I love the tentacles and that they have suckers. The hard work made a huge difference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Circlesofstone
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011 08:00:34 AM »

Very clever and creative. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoleEden
Lola Eden

I make for myself, if other like it, thats a bonus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012 04:46:43 AM »

oh i love this idea, very interesting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have fun making thing... sometimes they don't make any sense Cheesy
edeneadams

A crafty girl from Canada <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012 05:37:22 PM »

These look very pretty! By the way, is that a calculus textbook in the background? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Double Crochet
How to Half Double Crochet
How to Single Crochet
Inexpensive Halloween Decorations
Eco Friendly Halloween Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...