A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty wallhanging  (Read 1239 times)
Tags for this thread: mini_art_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2011 07:47:58 AM »

I fell in love with the kitties on this fabric. . .  and I knew I had to make a quilt focussing on the kitties.  Problem was, the kitties are SO small (less than an inch squared).  So I got out my quilting encyclopedia/dictionary/albums (I have 3), and I went on a hunt for just the right block.  I chose a block called "Farmer's Daughter" because I thought the kitties would look right at home in the middle...

This isn't the best picture, but the lighting is weird today.  Here's a close up of one of the blocks:

Up close, you can tell that I cut off one of the points, and my quilting lines aren't straight, but I am only human.

P.S.  I quilted this during the Super Bowl, and I got a blood stain on it when  I pricked my finger.  I immediately  soaked it in water, and the red dot has disappeared.  I am afraid the stain might come back, like milk stains are wont to do.  Is there a tried and true way to get blood stains out of quilts that doesn't endanger the fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011 07:56:34 AM »

I love the kitties! This is awesome.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011 10:19:26 AM »

I don't have any advice for the blood stains. Hope the area doesn't reappear.

But your quilt is lovely. Love the kitty theme and the pink and green. You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011 10:37:36 AM »

This has a cute country time feel to it. And kudos to you for hand quilting this. As far as blood stains go, and this might sound weird, but I have heard you should spit on the blood stain and rub it in like a stain pretreatment. Then dab it with a napkin to get out as much of the blood as possible. You can even go as far as sucking it out. After that, wash it in cold water like you did. Your saliva is supposed to break down the blood. I've done it on clothing and it has worked without the stain coming back, so you might give that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Little_G
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011 11:36:07 AM »

Love the cats, they are so cute, ansd the spring time feel of the quilt!  Smiley

Amalgam is right, your own spit will get rid of your own blood! Strange but true, it has to be your own though, other people's wont work! (just as well cos that would be gross!)  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011 12:32:07 PM »

Thanks for the blood stain tips.  Hopefully the stain won't reappear, and I won't have to worry about it.  I forgot to mention that this quilt was also made to be a companion quilt to my spring baskets that I posted ages ago; see:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235506.msg2578507#msg2578507
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
LuvaMyChevy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011 01:01:56 PM »

a little wd40 works, I laughed cause i hand quilt everynight while i watch tv and i do that all the time... or when im embroidering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011 04:28:19 PM »

I have no advice on the blood stain since I've been fortunate so far - knock on wood! quick! - to not have had it happen to me...
but your kitty wall hanging is sweet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011 08:37:18 PM »

What a great way to highlight your fabric.  This is really cute.  Don't worry about the points.  I had to look for them and I wouldn't have known to do that if you hadn't told me to!!!!   We all see our mistakes but no one who cares about us ever does.  And to anyone who does....  I don't care if you are a judge from Paducah, if I didn't enter it, you can judge it but I don't have to listen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
calicotortoise
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011 06:10:53 PM »

Cute fabric, beautiful quilt.  Oxyclean works well on organic stains like blood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Death And Devils in 3D Stereoscopic Art
How to Take Your Own Passport Photos
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith WonderCon Interview
A Cheap, Easy Modeling Light For Your Speedlight
Using the SB600 Sync Port
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...