A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with drawing a face? [UPDATED, again]  (Read 1448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tsukikomoon
« on: February 10, 2011 05:50:09 PM »

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY Cheesy

ah, the hair is still a work in progress, so excuse how weird it looks right now...also, I'm planning on putting a crown or band or something around it, which is why the hair looks like it's split into two sections (up and down) now to finish that, and work on the neck and ear Smiley as usual, any comments are appreciated Cheesy

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________')
yeah, erm, I fixed a few things (or tried to...it involved abusing the blur tool) I'm not sure if I got the eyes quite right...or anything else, for that matter...comments would be appreciated Cheesy

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________')
Hi Cheesy Sooo...right now, I'm in the middle of attempting to draw a person using Adobe Photoshop Elements 7. I'm currently shading in the face (I usually block in base colors, and work on sections at a time - the other layers, like the hair and clothing, are hidden...and the bright green background is to make sure that I don't accidentally color out of the lines Smiley ). However, there's something about the face - I think it's the lighting on the upper lip, or the eyebrows or something - that just feels a little off. Usually, when something like this happens, I don't work on the piece for about anywhere from a week to a month, and then when I come back, I can tell what's wrong. But I've been procrastinating, so I don't really have the time (yeah, it's an art project for school Grin shh, don't tell my teacher that I've been procrastinating Wink ) I'd really appreciate any comments and feedback! Smiley Is the lighting on the upper lip wrong? Or is it something else? Thanks! Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011 04:59:31 PM by tsukikomoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011 07:05:04 PM »

Hi! So, I'm not really a digital artist, but I do have some comments.

The eyes are set a little too far apart, I think. The space between the eyes should be the same as the width of one eye. Also, the eyes aren't focusing in the same direction. The left eye is too far to the right for the angle of the face and considering that the right eye is staring straight ahead.

The upper lip does seem a tad wrong, but I can't really tell for sure because the picture isn't that large. More shading around the nose, eyes, cheeks are would really define the face. Don't be afraid to use darker shades so the features come out. You'll want to define her cheekbones, the lightness of the cheeks at the moment maker her look like her cheeks are stuffed with something. I think another thing that would help out with the upper lip problem is showing the dip right above the upper lip, between the nose? (according to google it's called a philtrum? Who'd-a-thunk?) Don't forget to check and double-check the alignments and proportions of the features of the face.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but hopefully this helps. Smiley What you've got there is gorgeous as it is, we just see faces all the time that's why even when things are just a little off, we tend to notice right away even if we can't place our finger on the reason why. I hope you'll post this one here on craftster once you've finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011 07:55:08 PM »

One trick that I heard about when doing figure drawing was to hold it up in front of a mirror and you should be able to more easily tell what needs to be fixed on the drawing. Maybe every once in a while you could flip your figure horizontally and that would do the same trick?

I think it's a lovely face, but zzdia is correct about the eye on the left being placed a little too far to the left and looking in the wrong direction... if you fix that eye and shave the cheek on the left just a tad (it's really pointy for a cheek as is) and add a little highlight to show the dip on the upper lip and some highlight on the chin, you should be pretty much there!

Good luck on your project! And please show us the finished product when you get there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
tsukikomoon
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011 08:01:45 PM »

@zzdia
Thank you! Yeah, this is my first time attempting to draw a face - I usually do a more manga/anime style, but, well, the project called for something more realistic. After your comments, I can see what is wrong - yes, the eyes are a little too far apart, and they definitely aren't focusing in the right direction...can't believe I missed that! I'll take your suggestions into account Cheesy Now that I think about it, I have wayyy too many layers focusing on highlights - I probably do need to go over the shading...And philtrum? Yeah, lots to learn about anatomy Tongue Yay! Thanks Cheesy Time to go back to work Smiley

@tcmatteson
Actually, I've heard about that trick before (sorta XD)! Except usually, I use it on my pencil drawings - I find that flipping it over and holding it up to the light so I can see all the marks helps me identify if the drawing is slanted or anything. I didn't know how I'd do that with photoshop, but I'll try your mirror trick Smiley Ah, yes, I forgot to mention - because of photoshop layers, I colored over the lines for the base of the skin just in case - the hair covers up some of the messiness, like the pointy left cheek Smiley Yep, I'll try and fix everything! Thank you! Cheesy And of course, I'll try and post the finished product Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011 08:56:22 PM »

Glad to be of help. Wink I started drawing with the anime style too and I know how tough it can be shifting from that style to a more realistic style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011 06:30:06 AM »

Tsukikomoon: Here's how you would flip the image in Photoshop (well, the version I have anyway ^_^;; ) Image -> Rotate Canvas -> Flip Canvas Horizontal

I also got a start in drawing anime style... I don't think I did too badly when I switched to trying to draw real life figures, but that was years ago and since then I haven't had a chance to really pick up a pencil to do any drawing so ALL of my drawing skills have gone kaput. Every time I try now I get frustrated and end up giving up in favor for my other artistic abilities which I have since then developed... but one of these days I will get back into drawing! Just not now, lol! ^_^;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
tsukikomoon
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011 04:23:33 PM »

Thanks! Grin yeah, I think I abused the blur tool too much when drawing manga XD That plus my lack of a tablet...well, I've been neglecting art for a while XD time to go relearn everything XD @tcmatteson, don't give up! Cheesy you'll get there eventually Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonesaw
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011 11:11:43 PM »

I like to party with Photoshop OOOOHHHHH!!!  /facepet

so here's my 2 cents, all the advise you got is good I'm not sure what the limits are in elements 7 but i think you can use more blending on the skin tones ad some noise under filters and then a small amount of Gaussian blur [POW!].

Add some more dept to the eye's good way of doing this is to draw a skull on a new layer to help you figure out how the eye sits in the eye socket [BOOM!].

Now with a small size brush draw white highlights on the eyes lips and nose, use the apples on the lower right for reference [KAPLOW!] and to top it off try to stay away from using the burn tool a lot, natural colors always work best.  Cool if your using a photo to draw this image try putting it next to your drawing and constantly look back and forth at both images to help you figure out what you can do to fix little problems. [OH SNAP!]

I hope my little advice will help you, Ive been doing digital paintings for a long time now and I still love it! let me know if you have any questions.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illustrations, paintings and other knick knacks.

Party time all the time.

christianpena.etsy.com
tsukikomoon
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011 09:18:26 AM »

yeah, er, I'm not really sure about the capabilities of photoshop elements 7 either /shot I know...blur, and brush...and, er, blur Grin...I'll try to look for those filters, though! I'll try and take all of that advice into account Cheesy This is sort of hard for me, because I don't have a reference picture, even though I probably should (yeah, first time + winging it? not a good idea). It's based off of one of my OC's. All I have is a picture of the design of the outfit, which is taken from a ninja halloween costume Cheesy Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011 10:23:04 AM »

I think you've gotten some great advice. I'd add that I'm concerned about the bright green background. I understand why you've got it there, but having so much bright color in front of your eyes can really throw off your perception. I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up a clipping mask to truly prevent drawing outside the lines while letting you see how the face relates to what's going to end up around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Charity Shumway Her Novel Ten Girls To Watch
Author Charity Shumway on Being a Graduate
Dear Know It All Book Trailer
Jeffrey Deever Talks About How He Became an Author
Jeffrey Deever Talks About New Book XO
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...