A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YOs are too tight - HELP!  (Read 452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2011 12:46:15 PM »

Whilst trying to make these gloves - http://knitting-and.com/wiki/Mrs_Lovett%27s_Mitts - I discovered that when I try to [k1, yo, k2tog] my stitches are so tight from the previous row it is nearly impossible to k2tog. What am I doing wrong? I purposely have loosened my grip on the yarn so there's extra yarn in the stitches, but I always seem to end up with the same problem . . .

Urg. This is why I crochet, knitting hates me. >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Tephra
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011 05:07:40 PM »

Take a look at your stitches and see if the legs are crossed. If the bottom of your stitches cross over rather than having a little gap then you're twisting your stitches, which makes them tighter.

If they are twisted then we'll have to figure out how you are knitting and what to change to fix that.

If they aren't twisted, well then you probably just need to relax and not knit so tight. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011 05:09:38 PM by Tephra - Reason: Grammar. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011 07:41:41 AM »

Yes, if your sts are twisted that will make them too tight, and much too hard to k2tog. Take a look at the knit and purl videos at knitting help to see if you're wrapping the yarn the right way. Since you crochet, you may be 'grabbing' the yarn the same way  as around your hook and that's backwards to how it should be wrapped for knitting. Escpecially on the purl sts. Then when you try to work the next stitch in the front leg on the next row, it makes them twisted. If you don't want to change how you wrap, you can knit into the back leg on the next row and that straightens them out; then for the dec if you k2tog tbl, entering from the R side of the 2 sts instead of the L side, it'll be easier for you.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011 06:52:56 AM »

I find YO, k2tog a bit awkward too and I usually need to put my needle through the two stitches right to left and then give a gentle tug or two to make more room for the actual k2tog.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to YO SSK instead of YO k2tog in your pattern. For some reason decreases leaning the other way are less awkward to me. I usually slip one as if to knit, slip the next as if to purl and then knit them together through the back loop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
How to Add Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...