A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Showstudio Sewalong: Junya Watanabe dress from Winter '05/'06 collection  (Read 37067 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2005 05:44:02 PM »

Showstudio sewalong alert!  From the same website that brought us the Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket, comes a couture dress pattern from Junya Watanabe's Winter 2005-'06 collection. 
UPDATE: Here's the direct link to the pattern: http://www.showstudio.com/projects/dressmeupdressmedown/download/

-----------
Here's a photo (tiny, but the only one we have so far).  Maybe we can track down larger shots of it on the runway.

And Showstudio's comments:
We are utterly delighted to announce that as part of the Liberty Ross 'Dress Me Up, Dress Me Down' project, the brilliant Japanese designer Junya Watanabe has offered to contribute a garment pattern from his forthcoming Autumn/Winter 2005-6 (not-yet-in-the-shops) collection. Picked out by Liberty Ross from Jonathan Kaye's draft selection for the live event at the end of next month, the pattern is for a wool and pvc dress (pictured above). The pattern will be available (free of charge) for you, the viewer, to make up in advance of the event (urging you to engage with the draping and cutting techniques of the designers represented forces you to enter into the spirit of the coming season, no?). We expect it to be launched in 2-3 weeks. Forgive me for gushing, but Watanabe has been a heinous omission from our contributors list and this is a longstanding personal aspiration fulfilled. Hurray!

So come aboard and join the sewalong - it should be a great one.  While we wait for the pattern to be posted, we'll be talking about Watanabe's previous collections, theorizing about what the dress might be like, and generally getting excited!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005 05:16:17 AM by tigralon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005 05:52:20 PM »

Oh, and IndividualFrog provided this link to an archive of Junya Watanabe's Fall 2002 Collection.  Definitely worth a visit!  Watanabe is so talented.
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/F2002RTW/complete/thumb/JNWATNBE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 06:30:37 PM »

Good lord, PVC.  I think this time, assuming I have any time or money left to do this one, I shall be less fanatic about accurate recreation.

Here it is from style.com (shhhh don't tell the mods):
http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2005RTW/JNWATNBE/RUNWAY/00030f.jpg

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/F2005RTW/complete/thumb/JNWATNBE is the place for the entire collection.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 07:05:38 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed hot-linked image to link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 07:49:31 PM »

Good lord, PVC.  I think this time, assuming I have any time or money left to do this one, I shall be less fanatic about accurate recreation.

I don't want to speak before I leap (to mix metaphors), but from that single photo, this does look a bit simpler than the jacket.

It is a little unclear whether that fabric description is accurate, because in a later post, Showstudio says, "As it turns out, it was in fact this dress that was photographed over the weekend, to accompany the forthcoming downloadable pattern," and shows this photo (of the pinkish dress), instead of what was apparently an incorrect photo (of a completely different dress) shown with the original caption.  So...I'm not sure if that "wool & pvc" description still applies to the pattern we're receiving.  Though from the photo, it looks like it could indeed be a pvc bodice and wool skirt.

Well, despite Watanabe's original design, I'm not sewing a dress made of plastic and heat-retaining fabric in the height of summer.  I'm wondering...what other fabrics might be nicely substitutable, to respect his vision for the garment yet make it more wearable in hot months?  Something with sheen & body for the bodice, and a different, heavier skirt fabric with a rougher texture, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

munsters2004
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005 08:47:40 PM »

I cant find the Galliano Pirate Jacket on their site can you help?
Luke
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005 11:30:17 PM »

I have shinily delicious poplin that will sub wonderfully for the bodice, I think. It's heavy enough to provide the necessary structure but it actually breathes, which is nice. I think I'll have to get a huge thrift store wool blazer or something for the skirt....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005 11:46:32 PM »

I think this is a sewalong I might actually get into.. it looks more like something I could do, and something I'd wear out on occasion. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005 02:51:57 AM »

I cant find the Galliano Pirate Jacket on their site can you help?
Luke
Showstudio constantly rearranges their website, for some inexplicable reason.  I'm pretty sure it's currently in Archives.

I have shinily delicious poplin that will sub wonderfully for the bodice, I think. It's heavy enough to provide the necessary structure but it actually breathes, which is nice.
Nice idea...for my aesthetics, I want to retain that shininess of the bodice, using non-pvc fabric.  Shiny poplin could sub really well (it doesn't need to be mirror-reflective, just have a sheen).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel_
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 10:29:21 AM »

After watching the sewalong of the pirate jacket I think I might actually get involved with this one, seen as my exams will be finished by then. Only problem is going to be purchasing fabric, there are very few places that stock a good variety of fabric that I know of around here. Just a quick question though, maybe a little off topic, how did you manage to print the patterns for the pirate jacket?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005 11:20:38 AM »

After watching the sewalong of the pirate jacket I think I might actually get involved with this one, seen as my exams will be finished by then. Only problem is going to be purchasing fabric, there are very few places that stock a good variety of fabric that I know of around here. Just a quick question though, maybe a little off topic, how did you manage to print the patterns for the pirate jacket?

Check out the earliest pages of the jacket sewalong for our comments on trying to print.

And I have the same issue - I have to walk for over half an hour, literally across the entire downtown  city, in order to get to the fabric shops.  It's a pain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...