A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One New Thing  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: February 09, 2011 05:35:10 PM »

If you planted one new thing in your yard/garden whats it gonna be this year?
My budget is torn between hazelnut bushes and plum trees. 
and kale or coreopsis sweet dreams
and asparagus from seed
and more blueberries
and umm ... well I have a long list.
What are you going to splurge on this year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011 09:15:06 AM »

this will be my first year starting a veggie garden, so all of the items are new! The main item i plan to grow is [hanging] tomatoes! Hoping for lettuce, peppers, strawberries [hanging], greenbeans, and maybe zuchini, summer squash, cucumbers. and of course, herbs Smiley

thing is, i have a small area designated for gardening. but it has fencing on 2 sides and a shed on the other. its kind of a triangle shaped chunk of yard. i plan to utilize the space as much as possible, but at the same time, i am on a budget & need to start small. probably will only do a couple veggies and herbs. dont want to overwhelm myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
Spidersweb
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011 11:06:14 AM »

My new thing this year is square foot gardening! 

I am doing the Three Sisters method combined with square foot gardening.  I have a 3.5' x 4' space, where I'll be planting:
-blue jade corn (dwarf - 3-4' high)
-golden snow peas
-cherokee trail of tears beans
-honey nut butternut squash (grows dwarf 5" squash!)

In my other bed, which has flowers and herbs and things in it, the square foot gardening space is really only about 1.5' x 4'.  So there, I'll have a dwarf zucchini bush, a dwarf eggplant, dwarf bell peppers (if they sprout), and carrots.

Yes, I have a thing for dwarf plants-- but it's more about me realistically eating the output than cuteness.  I am not doing tomatoes in my garden this year, but I am doing a local CSA, so I'll get plenty of tomato goodness.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Muffinator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011 10:53:47 AM »

Wait, DWARF eggplant?!  Now I'm going to have to look for some seeds (or even better a plant!) I love eggplant, but have never planted it because I'm the only one in my family who does.  That is definitely on my plant bucket list.  Smiley

In addition to trying to find the dwarf eggplants, I'm going to spring for an established rhubarb plant (or see if my mom will split one of her's for me).  I LOVE fresh rhubarb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spidersweb
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011 11:24:10 AM »

Well, sadly, for me the dwarf eggplant wouldn't start from seed!   Embarrassed

However, the little corn is tasselling, and all the squashes are budding up with fruits and male flowers.  The beans and peas are rolling along as well.  I will need higher stakes soon!

My mini bell peppers are also slow starters.  They are not more than 2" high at this point, but I started them at the same time as the corn/squash/legumes. 

My herbs and flowers took to all that southern US flooding rain like gangbusters, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Lighting Advice
Macro Photography Uses and Lenses
Concert Photography Tips
Prime Lenses Vs. Zoom Lenses
Dan Bracaglia Talks About His Digital Photography Experience
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...