A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn-a-Lot LOVE  (Read 1673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 09, 2011 01:35:18 PM »

This weekend while all the boys were at Learn-a-lot scout camp, I decided to see what I could learn about using my embroidery machine to quilt. 

I pieced together a simple border and wrapped it around a big white empty space.  I had PLANS for that empty space.  Unfortunately, I wasn't quite up to my plans so it is a little bigger and a little emptier than I'd like,  I purchased a set of single stitch feather quilting patterns from embroiderylibrary.c om. I marked out an arrangement of several different patterns across the center of the quilt and then got out my magna quilter frame.  This was my first time trying to use the magna quilter.  It is designed with magnets instead of the standard hooping process.  In theory you can quickly and easily hoop and move your quilt as you embroider it.  In theory.  In real life, there is that whole problem of how to position your fabric in the hoop so that your design fits and ends up where you actually want it to end up.  That is the part they never really show you on any of the videos or in any of the classes.  Either they are magic and it all works as easily as they say it will OR... they go off camera and sweat and tug and curse just like the rest of us. 

After stitching the first heart, I decided that I really liked how this was working out.  After stitching the third one.  I decided I didn't have the patience to fight with it any more and that I really did like it and didn't want to goof it all up.  That was when I decided I would do some free motion stippling around it and move on. 

You can see a bit of that in this picture.  You can also see the diamonds I did through the patchwork using red thread and my walking foot.  The hearts in the corner were free motion. 

It still looked plain so I decided to add the heart stitch around the center.  this was done with a built in stitch on my machine. About half way through, I discovered I was not using a consistent pressure on the quilt and so I got some long skinny and some wide fat hearts along the way.  Once I figured that out I was able to hold the fabric so that it fed through evenly.  The only tricky bit about using the machine stitch is figuring out how to handle the corners.  It is really a matter of getting the rhythm of the stitch so you can stop at the end of the design.  Then you have to figure out what you need to do on your machine to make it start at the beginning as you go around the corner. 

There were plenty of challenges, but for a practice piece, I really do like how it turned out and I Learned a lot! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
DaisyTattoo
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011 03:53:03 PM »

Very cute! I love all the fabrics you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011 04:56:18 PM »

Ooh oooh oohh!!  I love it, every single inch!!  The simple border sets off the white and the hearts so perfectly.  You just gave me some good ideas for some quilts I have to do this year too. Thank you for sharing, this quilt is awesome and the tips along the way are really helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011 08:09:16 PM »

I think your piece is very pretty, simple yet elegant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011 07:12:14 AM »

I love this quilt!

Thanks for the tips...I have been wanting to experiment with my embroidery machine as well...and I need a quilt for a wedding...what is more perfect than hearts? Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaypee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011 12:33:58 PM »

What a beautiful quilt. 
Practice quilt?   Every project is practice.  Even the 20th one. 
Doesn't matter what number this one has--its gorgeous.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2K

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011 04:29:56 AM »

I agree with Kaypee -- this is really beautiful!  You have a nice eye for design.  Your heart embroidery is nifty and really adds a nice touch.  The fabric selection is super as well!  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011 05:45:32 PM »

Just an update...  My mom stole this quilt from me.  She said she really liked it.   She then gave it to my niece.  It appears that they have been trading hearts since forever and she wanted to give her a whole bunch of them.

Here she is opening it.  Apparently, mom had told my niece about stealing the quilt.

Guess it is all worth it.  She really likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Eamea
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011 09:00:24 AM »

Of course she really likes it - it's adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bison Chili to go with your beer
Country Style and Lemon Balsamic Green Beans Recipe
Wild Sockeye Salmon Roasted on a Cedar Plank
Simple Salmon with Caper Sauce and Rice Pilaf
Serrano Ham and Cabernet Soaked Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...