A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Deluge of Steampunk (A plethora of pictures)  (Read 1449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NightTerrorzChick
« on: February 08, 2011 01:30:28 PM »

Off I went again buying up jewelry supplies and making a great many wondrous strange things, especially because our little company has acquired a vendor spot at The Steampunk Worlds Fair in May. So here are the new items. Some of these pictures are amazing because a friend of mine has a fancy digital camera that also has a manual focus and is pretty much the best camera. Some of them I took myself, which means they are less than amazing.

Here is a heart-shaped locket with some gears and other watch parts set on front. On etsy I've named it Root Moments. The locket is one of a grouping of three of the same type I bought, so there may be more of these soon.

Here is a cameo necklace made within a large gear. The chain is thick on this one, and I liked the contrast between the delicateness of the cameo figure and the weighty aspect of the gear and chain.

I bought some key-chain attachments with my recent round of purchases from Michael's. Here is one of the fobs I made for them. Nothing in glued in this one, which makes the hands adjustable, though I may glue them before selling for fear of it coming apart.

And now for something slightly different. This chain-y necklace is much subtler than most of my work. It has a simple elegance that really caught me and I think it works nicely. I may try something similar soon where instead of those gold scroll parts I use a few gears glued together.

I'm not sure if these goggles count as jewelry or trinkets really, but here is one set I made with the same type of parts I use for jewelry. The spring-loupe on the side with the gold fitting is removable, which makes for better eyesight.

I finally got my hands on some adjustable ring blanks so that anyone can buy the rings. This copper blank has a gold setting on it with one of the rose cameos and some watch bits around it.

I also found some decorative keyhole covers. I'm not sure what they were made for, but they worked excellently for this particular necklace. Sadly I left them in NYC over my winter break so it will be a bit before I can make more with these. I also used the last of my lock and key clasps for this one. I ordered some new fancy clasps recently, though, so we'll see how those work out.

These next ones are my favorite earrings. The base of these used to have tons and tons of red gems hanging down. I replaced them with gears and I think they look much better this way!

These are an update of one of my first sets of earrings. The previous version had some plastic parts because I hadn't yet acquired the giant mess of antique watch and clock parts I have now. I think they look miles better now.

Another key-chain. This one is much chunkier than the previous one.

Front:

Back:

If you've seen my glass etching you may have noticed that the logo of my little company is a set of fanged teeth. I decided that since we had swung in a sort of steampunk direction, that I should tie the two together. So, I made two different key-chains that mimic the logo using only steampunk elements. I think they turned out fairly well.

Another heart-shaped pendant, much like the one from my last post, that is very delicate and feminine. The other one sold, so this one was important to get done. I almost like it better than the previous one because it has a sort of skeletal look to it.

Another ring. The flat part of the ring blank was missing from this one (which I didn't notice when I bought it), but it actually made for an interesting idea. I bent the watch face so that it would lay on the blank as well as some of the gears so they sit correctly and it ended up being quite unique.

Here ends the really nice quality pictures. These pieces are much more recent so they haven't gotten the luxury picture taking treatment.

Here is a newer set of goggles. The gears and lens are attached to the plastic shields of the glass tinted lenses so that they can be removed if you actually want to be able to see in them.

I got into concentric circles recently and this ring is the product of that. It is set on a gun metal colored adjustable ring blank and is just a bunch of gears all set onto one another.

Both of my grandfathers gave me stuff to help me with my jewelry making, my maternal one gave me a whole slew of keys he had hanging around. For this locket I set it on the top of the key and places a couple of gears in the middle of the locket.

With another set of seemingly identical keys I made a set of earrings by using similar watch movements.

With yet another I made a small pendant with some watch parts and a small clear gem.

And with a larger one I made a sort of watch on the top of the key with the casing of a watch and the face of one. Nothing here is glued but the small pieces on the face. The Key is just sitting in the part where the winding pin would have been.

My other grandfather gave me a grinding and cutting tool as well as a bunch of other tools that I used for pretty much everything. Aside from that, though, he had these strange metal posts that I wasn't sure what to do with. I found a few uses recently. One of them was to fit them into the odd one out of the ring blanks I bought. They had these little circles on them, maybe for beading or something? I wasn't sure what to do with them until I realized that these posts fit between them rather well and I made these two rings.

And lastly a very large cameo came with the set of cameos I bought. I wasn't sure what to do with it until I decided to make another key-chain.

And there they all are! I have a few more things made, a pair of goggles, a couple of necklaces, that I haven't taken pictures of. Back in NYC I also have some small top hats I'm going to steampunk up as well. So there will be more not too long from now! Thanks for looking and, as always, comment as you will!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011 01:48:45 PM »

I don't own anything steampunk... but i LOVE it!! I can't decide my favorite piece here, they all look so great!
Lockets are one of my favorite things, and steampunk locket? Forget about it.

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
ohsewsarah
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011 02:04:23 PM »

Your work is amazing.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog for more crafty bits  http://sazzlepeach.blogspot.com/
Professor Yana
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011 02:51:51 PM »

I love the name "Root Moments" and the Calculus background! XD
Very nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notanotherxerox
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011 02:52:43 PM »

You did such a great job! I especially love the heart with the little gears on it, it looks a lot more feminine than most steampunk pieces.

I have some spare watch parts I'd love to attatch to a metal bracelet I have, how do you attatch yours? I wasnt sure if I should use the sodering iron or a glue like e600 or something. Anyone have any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011 03:03:30 PM »

Thanks everyone for admiring my work!

As for what I use to attach things, mostly I use e-6000 because some of the stuff is so thin I think soldering might cause a mess or melt through it or something. I often use a pin or a very thin piece of wire to apply the glue so that I get a small enough amount for tiny things. For larger projects a soldering iron might be more useful, but I just love the ability to remove things if needed and have a clean slate.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011 06:20:34 PM »

These are awesome! I like how you use the metal posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sidewalk Chalk
How to Make a Pop Up Card for Children
How to Make a Tissue Paper Flower
How to Make a Happy Sun Face
Face Painting - Alien Brushwork Details
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...