A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watch out the Scotties are falling! The Scotties are falling! (tutorial)  (Read 630 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2011 07:37:39 PM »

So I thought I would do a tutorial ( my first ever!) on a technique I started using last year to revamp some tshirts which unfortunately had to suffer the consequences of very oil sauces down the front them because I am not amazing at holding chop sticks.  (Oh thai food you are soo good but so messy) I couldn't get the stain out - but thought I would embrace them and throw some stencil action on top with stuff called "Simply Spray".

I began by deciding what my design would be. I am a little obsessed with Scottie Dogs as I have a little one myself ( Peter) So I decided to cascade some Scotties down a shirt. Kind of like a bunch of them were falling off a cliff.. like lemmings? Yeech, don't I sound morbid?  Anyways! So I found a bunch of Scotty images -  then printed them in various sizes on to regular printer paper.  I then carefully cut each one out as I needed to keep both the positive and negative sides to create my design.

After they were all cut out - I prepared the t-shirt for printing.  I put some wax paper ( or whatever you would like) in between the layers of the shirt so as not to print on the other side.  ( Though some day I may want to try that.. see what happens)  I laid it out as flat as it would go and covered my table in a table cloth as to not get black overspray all over my table.

I then placed all of my positive cutouts onto the t-shirt in an order I liked. This way once I have sprayed there would be a grey space in the shape of the scottie surround by spritzes of black.

I put a wee bit of tape on the back so that they would not blow away when I spray them with the paint. I have to say to this stuff is kind of like a dye - it really absorbs into the fabric, it doesn't sit on top which is kind of nice.

Then I sprayed the whole thing pretty lightly just to kind of give an all around graffiti like feel. The spray can is kind of tricky - you need to spray on to something else just to get it started otherwise you get some big blobs of paint. I kind of don't mind the big blobs as this is kind of the look I am going for, but it doesn't always work nicely. Spray about 6-8 inches away from the area and move all around until the desired finish is achieved.

Then I began to place all the negative space cutouts which would give me a black scottie pattern when I finished.  I did these one at a time as there was a lot of paper around the edges of the stencil as to ensure I didn't overspray more black on to the design. ( If I was more patient I might wait for the positive stencil spray that I just did to dry a bit first, but I am not so I just went right ahead and did it.)

I kind of did a bit of a loose spray not totally filled in. I like it a little better that way - seems a little rough.  There is also a little paw print ( not totally visible in photos) because my cat decided to jump up on to this while it was drying and walk across it. YAY! This does take a considerable time just to dry to a point of not getting wet paint on ya, so I would say make sure you have time in the space you are using at least 2-4 hours depending on how dark and intense you put on the colour.

I let this dry for 72 hours and then wash and wear and voila - I have a Scotties cascading down a t-shirt I may not have worn because of poor chopstick handling. Here is me wearing the shirt in my (oh so need to be cleaned) living room.

I also used this same technique on a chair cutout that I made then cascaded down a shirt.  Seen here:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 07:38:37 PM by mezcraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011 08:07:33 PM »

Love it!!!!! Okay, now my mind is racing about what I want to stencil and have falling...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - Geoffrey Beene
Jeanius - Sylvana Ward Durrett
Vintage Bowles - The Secrets to Becoming a Vintage Collector
From the Vogue Closet - The Designer Sneaker
Tips from Fashion Assistant Grace Fuller
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...