A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Mermaid Birthday Ideas  (Read 1422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TurtlesMama
« on: February 06, 2011 05:39:23 PM »

I am STUCK! I have been planning my daughters third birthday and I am hitting a wall!

She wanted the Little Mermaid, but I didn't want Ariel so I decided a generic mermaid birthday would be easier.

I need some ideas for goodie bags (I am making mermaid dolls for all the kids but what else?), food, decorations, cake (I have a few ideas), ANYTHING. I have a TON of ideas but I feel like they are lame, I guess I just need a kick in the butt and an outside idea or two!

Here is the invitation:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tooooo many projects.... not enough time.

Wists: http://wists.com/turtlesmama
NostalgiaDeathmatch
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 09:45:20 PM »

(Whoa dang, incoming WALL of text! I'm sorry!)

Hmmm...

For goodie bags, you could make the bag shaped like a fish, maybe? A generic fish shape. You could also get some of those gummy sharks they sell at stores. Craft stores or dollar stores might have some little plastic sea creature themed toys to stick in them. Wind up toys would be pretty cool, I've seen a BUNCH of those at my local craft store. Play Dough usually goes over well. Or maybe little craft kits like you'd find at Joanne's? You could make little coloring kits by printing out images off the internet (you can find a lot of free coloring pages online, or draw your own) and staple a few together into coloring books. I think kids generally like cheesy little toys, especially if they make noise.

Foodwise... Have you seen those cup of dirt pudding desserts? Basically chocolate pudding with crushed up oreos on top to look like dirt, with a gummy worm sticking out. Well, my idea is to use a LIGHT colored pudding, like tapioca or vanilla, and crush up Nilla wafers or vanilla oreos to look like sand on top. Wink You could top them with hand made marzipan decorations, like star fish, and maybe those chocolate candies that look like rocks, or those stringy green candies for kelp... I think it'd be cute, anyway.

For other easy foods, you could just use cookie cutters to shape things for the theme. Like make sandwiches, except use a fish shaped cookie cutter to turn them into fish sandwiches.

I don't really have any ideas for decorations, I'm a terrible decorator... but I'd say blue and green streamers, paper fish, pin the tail on the mermaid game (or something like that. Tape the tail on the mermaid? Trying to be three-year-old appropriate) Maybe get plain white paper tablecloths and color undersea themes on them? You'll probably be able to find fish shaped balloons somewhere, too.

For cake, I'd totally recreate the mermaid on your invitations. A flat cake, probably, cut to the shape of the mermaid and iced with the same colors would be adorable, in my opinion.

I hope I helped some! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 09:46:41 PM by NostalgiaDeathmatch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lyttlegems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011 09:02:52 AM »

You could make balloons in to octopus shapes, using a normal balloon and long balloons for their tentacles..
Use shells from the beach to help decorate..
Blue fabric draped around the place, and used as a table cloth, the blue and green streamers is a great idea too!

Cake, could make a starfish or fish shaped cake.. with cupcakes with blue icing sitting around it.
Blue jelly with gummi fish or sharks in it.. with cream ontop to make a wave
Getting the fish cookie cutter and shaping sandwiches is a really good idea too!

Goodie bags, generally cheap items, beach ball could fall into the beach theme, cheap dolphin toys, if you wanted to you could make a magnet/brooch of a nemo fish using orange foam card in a fish shape with white foam on top for the stripes, with googly stick on eyes, starfish hairclips, bubbles.

Activity wise, you could get the kids to make fish or octopus using paper plates, crayons, card (streamers for octopus).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TurtlesMama
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011 09:12:08 AM »

Thank you SO much! I hadn't thought of anything like that! I am so excited *even more so than I was before hahaha*.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tooooo many projects.... not enough time.

Wists: http://wists.com/turtlesmama
endymion
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011 06:20:16 PM »

It might be fun to get a large box or screen (for 3-year-olds, one of those foamcore trifold project boards might work) and then put a picture of a mermaid on it. Cut out the face and then let the kids stand behind it and put their face in the hole. Take digital pictures of them and then print them out to use as thank-you cards.

Another idea is some kind of "fishing" game.

Pretty sea shells might be nice goody-bag items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make-Ahead Soba Salad Recipe With Charred Eggplant
How to Make the Perfect Omelet
How to Make a DIY Green Smoothie Pack
Mason Jar Rainbow Caprese Salad Recipe
Calorie Cutting BBQ Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...