A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
820 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I need ideas for a craft for a large crowd!  (Read 748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

penelopelane
« on: February 06, 2011 02:46:35 PM »

Okay, so I'm in a time bind for ideas, here's my dilemma...

I'm own a photography business and have the opportunity to get a free vendor booth at an event where 5000+ folks attend; the catch: I have to provide a FREE craft/game/activity for kids.

This event is in March. However, I have started a local campaign to get empty cereal boxes (and scrapbooking paper/magazine scraps) for the kids to make recycled tote bags for another event with similar free vendor booths in April. This has been a huge endeavor with local businesses/teachers/friends helping collect boxes for me.

Seeing as the FIRST upcoming event is much sooner, I'm afraid I can't use the existing cereal boxes because I want to make sure come April I have plenty. I really need the time to collect the number I need.

So, my question is... can anyone think of ideas for recycled kids crafts/games/activities that will be relatively cheap on my pocketbook? I have to keep safety in mind for the lil'uns. It's an amazing advertising opportunity and in this town, those don't come cheap or often, so I'd really really love to participate, but I've scoured the internet without finding any inspiration.

The ONE idea I did have is to pre-cut and dry salt dough shapes for kids to decorate with craft paint and either attach a string or magnet, but its not recycled...it might be a last-minute idea if I can't think of anything else.

I'd send you a custom recycled cereal box tote bag if you can help! Wink My business is the only eco-friendly photography company around, and I really want to stay true to this pact I made, so recycled would be perfect to send our message to the locals!

Thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 03:04:10 PM by penelopelane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 03:03:14 PM »

At first I didn't know what kind of a craft this was, but I saw a tutorial at family fun crafts site. So why not hot glue the open end closed and cut it in half across the middle? This way, you'll have double the number of bags and kids don't put much in them anyway - maybe some candy or whatnot. Just an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
whitterp
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011 12:59:58 PM »

you could have the kids make coke tab bracelets with tabs and colored ribbon or even strips of fabric

just thread ribbon through the tabs and tie around the wrist. its recycled and you can probably get coke tabs a lot easier than boxes, people go through sodas faster than cereal and a lot of people save them anyway to donate to ronald mcdonald house, so you might even find some large stashes of them among friends.

if the event your booth is at will be having refreshments you can always ask them to save them for you as well so you dont run out mid event.

Not the most fun or creative but its quick and easy :-)

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.61975553.jpg theres a picture, that is NOT my etsy page, just an image I found after an internet search
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.whitneymakes.wo rdpress.com

pinterest.com/whitneymakes
craftzeeLucy
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011 06:19:45 AM »

Can you maybe collect some old newspapers from neighbours etc., then buy some balloons and play with papier-mache...
you make a "glue" with some water, salt and flour, then kids tear newspapers in stripes, dip them in glue and put them on one side or bottom of the baloon so they shape a ball... when it dries, another group of kids can paint them

You could also collect some stones and show them how to paint some funny objects on them... fish or ladybug or spiders etc. - not sure how eco this is

another idea - make a little paper woven baskets out of newspaper - perfect for Easter eggs maybe...

anyway, hope I inspired you at least  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be creative, be craftzee

http://craftzee.blogspot.com/
jodilee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011 01:57:19 PM »

What about getting as many  glossy magazines and newspapers and making paper bead.

They can then be made into colourful cheap jewellery.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paper-Beads

OR

Rolled newspaper bowls.........

http://www.papergoods.com/rollednews_craft.shtml

There are newspapers and mags everywhere and colour etc doesn't matter and you only need some glue sticks scissors and maybe some thread/string to make bracelets and necklaces.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...