A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are YOU giving your valentine?  (Read 2607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2011 02:44:20 PM »

My bf actually gave me 60$ to get him stuff for valentines, so I couldn't just make him stuff apparently. It's our first valentines that we're actually TOGETHER for.

However, I am still making him stuff. I've found a poem online that really fits us, and then added a few stanzas of my own. I was planning on writing an entire poem for him, but I will see if I have time during school. (It's so hard to make things at home when you're still living with parents AND the bf!)

I'm making him a "mailbox" out of a cereal box. I'm going to cover it with hearts (I made a tutorial here: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/paper-valentine-hearts) that take FOREVER to make, but the detail and effort are easily appreciated. (Seriously, it's hard to look at the hearts and not realize how much time and work went into them.)

I'm pretty much filling the box with all sorts of candy that has chocolate and peanut butter. I got him reeses cups, reeses sticks, snickers peanut butter squared, reeses pieces, and a few more that I can't remember, and one box of sweetart hearts. He LOVES peanut butter.

He also likes gatorade, but he likes the kind that comes in a pouch, because of what kind it is? Idk, but you usually find the ones in the bottles. So I got him a few pouches of gatorade.

I also got him a teddybear that isn't too valentine-y, it's white and it's holding a brown heart. (Not pink!!!)

I didn't want any of it to be very valentine themed, but it's still for valentines.

I'm planning on printing out a ton of love quotes/reasons and tying them into scrolls, and putting them into the box too. I really hope I have time for all of this, because I really want him to know that I thought about it and actually worked on it. I didn't realize how much he wanted something for valentines, but I'm glad he let me know. Idk if he's ever been actually dating someone during valentines or if I'm the first girlfriend that he's had during valentines.

Whoo! That's a lot of words. What are you guys making for your significant others?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 04:04:27 PM »

Gosh, nothing that elaborate!

I've learned that while I enjoy crafting, I just have to accept that I'm crafting mostly for my enjoyment because he's just not that into crafts!  Roll Eyes I have to put the right amount of effort into it, so that I don't get my feelings hurt if all he says is "Oh. Thanks. That's sweet." (Or, like when I gave him a hand-embroidered stocking our first Christmas and he said, "YOU made this?" in a tone of utter disbelief! OY!)

So, older and wiser (at last), I've invited him out to eat at Commander's Palace in New Orleans the weekend before. He might not appreciate my craftiness, but he certainly appreciates a fine meal, an adult libation, and my undivided attention.  Grin

Oh, and I'm making him a little valentine to tuck into his bag when he goes out of town on Monday. The  valentine is based on Martha Stewart's take on an old design: http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/valentines-day-quotes-and-cards#slide_4 

I'm saving most of my craftiness for my girlfriends--making them a treat based on their main interests right now: heart potholders for two who like to cook, a sheep magnet (you're "wooly" a great friend) for a young friend, and mugrug for my tea-drinking pal. THEY will appreciate not only the intent but the gift, and as a bonus, they'll "get" the effort it took and appreciate it all the more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011 07:02:41 PM »

I'm putting so much work into it because he made it obvious that he wanted something. Last year, we weren't dating but we were heading to it, and we spent the day together. We didn't do anything much, except we didn't talk to anyone else the entire day, just because we intended to be alone and just together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011 08:36:46 AM »

Let us know how it turns out! I hope he'll be thrilled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
LoudHoward
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011 05:27:50 AM »

I made my fiance a papercut card which took 6 hours to cut!!
And then I ordered him 2 boxes of unfrosted poptarts and a box of cookie dough bites from an american site. they were pretty pricey though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011 07:33:37 AM »

I was completly wrong about what he wanted... I guess the 60$ was just what he had in his wallet so he just handed it to me.

I feel like all the effort was wasted, but I haven't given it to him yet. But yesterday, we drove past this guy selling premade gift baskets on the street and we stopped because they were huge and it said 5$, and then he said to pick one out. I thought he was just getting it for me but then he said he hadn't gotten me anything yet for Valentines day. So, I picked out my own valentine's.

I fully intend to let him know how I feel about picking my own stuff out. Because after intentionally letting him know I was working really hard on his stuff, I'm really hurt.

He usually does a lot more than this. I don't know what exactly happened this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011 09:53:55 AM »

aww bummer!  Sad  maybe he's waiting to surprise you with something tonight?  idk... my bf's not crafty at all, but at least he can appreciate when i'm crafty for him..

maybe next time he hands you cash you could wrap it up in some really cool package and give it back to him since he's not very clear about what he wants you to do with it... 

hopefully there'll be some chocolate in that basket he picked up, because chocolate makes everything better..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011 10:26:02 AM »

Rats.

Maybe there's a gene. Maybe crafty people are genetically predisposed to gravitate toward non-crafties. Sort of to keep the bloodlines mixed, or something.

I'm sorry you're bummed out. But give him what you made him knowing that you did it with the best of intentions, and don't worry about what he gave you (if you can). Maybe he has a surprise planned for tonight, but if he doesn't, it might be that the best thing to come of it is that you BOTH will learn something about each other and about yourselves!

On that note, my good friend (and DD's youth leader) gave my 16yo this website quiz to find her own "love language."  http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/love/ She had me do the quiz last Wednesday, and I passed it to her dad (my husband). We know a LOT more about each other/ourselves now. It's never too late to learn what sounds like "I love you" to the folks you care about. What I think says "I love you" can sometimes sound like "she doesn't know me at all!"

Since your BF is apparently okay with you picking out your own gifts, why not tell him you want him to take this oneline quiz and show you the results so you'll know what he hears as "I love you lots." Then show him YOUR results!!! Maybe he'll catch a clue and you'll have a better day when the next gift-giving occasion rolls round?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011 10:27:42 AM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011 01:53:34 PM »

the 5 love languages is great!  have you ever read the book?  if not, you should consider it.  my mom and step dad just finished it and gave it to me and my bf.  i think all couples should know things like this about each other... the quiz sounds like a great quick way to do it too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterwoman
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011 03:00:29 PM »

My fiance and I are having a low key valentine's day since I'm sick with the flu and the Navy has been working him pretty hard lately. I drugged myself up and made madeleines for him because he loves them when we go to starbucks. I wrapped it all up in some pretty red tulle and made a card to go along with it. The recipe as well as pictures are on my blog.

Happy Valentine's Day
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011 08:49:57 PM »

I was wrong about being wrong and you guys were DEFINITELY right about him maybe having a surprise with me!

I did whine (He is making me so selfish, which is not good) while I was at school today. He said he never said that he hadn't already got me something yesterday (but I know he did and that's what made me upset in the first place) but maybe he meant something else? I kept asking him what he was doing throughout the day because I ask him that when I run out of stuff to say and he kept saying it's secret. I came home to find a HUGE bouquet of balloons, lots of different chocolates, a HUGE nerf gun, tons of extra nerf darts, a box to hold them and extra clips, (we've recently gotten into nerf..) a display set of swords, a love potion, fake roses, (I picked out roses for him to give to his mom and a couple of close girlfriends) a set of soap/lotion/body wash etc, soaped up rose petals, and a stuffed dog.

Talk about a surprise... now I feel that all the work I did for him is underrated and not enough, even though I spent the time and thought and he spent the money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancycrafter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013 11:48:13 AM »

This year I made a framed picture I drew. I wrote "Love without reason lasts the longest" and then drew some flowers around the words and framed it. I also made a card from a printable pattern on Martha Stewart's website that was of a train. I made a little envelope and put a note in it and glued it to the little train car on the picture. I also printed some blank Valentines coupons and I'm writing things on them like, "Will watch an action movie with you", "breakfast in bed", etc. and decorating the front with some scrapbooking paper scraps and little letters I have. Will also get some candy as well this week.

For my niece, who is 5, I am making her a little mailbox using this pattern: http://www.simplymodernmom.com/2010/01/special-delivery-paper-mailbox-tutorial-and-pattern/ and decorating the paper myself with hearts and such. I'm putting in a card I made that says "You are tops in my book" and has a slit above the words to put a little bookmark. For the bookmark I cut out 2 little hearts from a pair of old jeans then sewed around it so that it has a pink outline and put stuffing in it. I'm making a beaded bookmark then attaching the heart to the end of it. I'm also putting some Hershey kisses and a Hershey bar (with a wrapper I am making for it... drawing it with the word "Sweetheart" on it and some hearts) in the mailbox.

For my mom, I made her a card that looks like a mailbox and cut out the lid so that the flap opens and I'm making her a beaded bookmark and putting it in the hole of the mailbox on the card.

For my 2 aunts I'm making a drawing and framing it for them (not sure what they will say just yet), won't see them for a while yet (they're coming to visit sometime in March they said), so I still have a while yet on theirs. Also making a card, not certain which one yet (might make the mailbox one and make them a bookmark as well to put in it).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013 11:55:34 AM by fancycrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Paintball Like Rambo
How To Cheat at Rock Paper Scissors
How to Have Better Creative Thinking
How to Play Solitaire
How to Fool About Whilst Being Pursued
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...