A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bake and Botch? (Or... my kitchen exploded last night)  (Read 7344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011 08:31:19 PM »

Hey two things one. Use duck tape wrap it around you hand with the sticky side out and run it all over the floor and the under the cabinets
Two call the stove company and see if you can get a door repacement and how much it would be it might be cheaper if money it tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011 07:31:26 AM »

I've had that happen before. I was baking in a covered pyrex dish and it shattered. We didn't even open the oven, it just exploded and made a huge noise. We think that though we had used the dish before, the lid hadn't been, so probably a bubble inside or something.

Ugh, thats so annoying. I'd check my local freecycle for an oven if you can't replace the whole thing with a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
tomico
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011 09:48:44 AM »

I read through all the comments and was going to tell you early on that the reason you pay for renter's insurance is for these unexpected accidents and why pay for something if you are afraid to use it. It's good to see that you actually made the claim. I'm glad you are all doing well. I hope your husband did not end up with night terrors over this. Did your renter's insurance cover the doctor visit or did you have health coverage for that? By the way, if you want sparkly feet there are easier ways to achieve it. lol. I hope you all continue to be well.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011 10:07:27 AM »

The duct tape is a great idea! Like any good craftster, I have oodles of it (some in pretty colors too, but I'm not going to use the 'good' tape for a cleanup job.  It would be like using the 'good" china to serve a bunch of preschoolers.)

It's funny, I decided to get full coverage renter's insurance on a whim in July 2005-- when we were living in New Orleans, a month before Katrina!  Lucky, lucky, lucky! We have healthcare coverage, so the doc visit won't be much more than a small co-pay-- $12.  Not a huge deal, really.  I wish that Anchor Hocking would respond to my email or calls, as it would be very nice if they'd help fix this situation too, but so far, nothing.  Given what other people who have been in the same situation have said, I'm not really expecting them to, either.

We're still looking into our options, but I think we're going to go with a trip to the local dented appliance store before we decide.  There are some incredible deals there, and we got an amazing dryer there for very very cheap, since it looked like someone had thrown a golf ball at it a few times. All their items are new, they just got banged up a wee bit in shipping, and they have some great deals.  I think the dryer retailed for $500 undented, but we got it for $225 dented. So that's possibly a good option, and we'll have to see what they've got.

Looking into a new door is a good option too, but I'll need to see how long it'll take to get one in, and how much the price will be.  

About me feet-- honestly, they don't hurt me much at all, and please don't worry about them!  They're a bit sore, but it's not like I'm in huge amounts of pain.  I am a fellow shoe-shunner, and so my feet are subjected to gravel, hot concrete, gardening and all the bug bites/thorns/etc that that entails, ice/snow if Im running out to get the mail and so on and so on.   My feet do get banged up, scratched, burned and so on, but it's funny... when I saw my sister recently, her feet were a complete MESS from years of having to wear heels for work.  She didn't have fire ant bite scars or callouses (or to be completely honest, ground in dirt!), but her bunions and hammertoes were more than enough to make me very thankful for my shoe-shunning.

Oh! And the epsom salt soak worked like a dream! The footsies are much more comfy now, and while I still have to go to the doc, I'd say it pulled out at least half of the little bits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Cadaverxstitch

Need a custom cross stitch pattern done?  PM me!
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011 10:13:14 AM »

Regarding sparkly feet, all I have to do is use glitter in ONE project, and I'll have randomly glittery feet for the next ten years, regardless of how much I vacuum, right?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011 11:01:15 AM »

Tomico, on the insurance thing...you ar so right! I don't know why we didn't think of making claims. DUH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011 03:26:04 PM »

Do that epsom soak again and after the doc too, it is a great disinfectant for any gouges! That's a concern with cuts on feet, infection. Glad you are feeling better so far though, good to hear. And yay for seconds and second hand stuff, it's SUCH a deal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011 09:24:28 PM »

If your doc is psyched to us a scalpel on you, right off the bat, then I'm a little worried...  Undecided

When my SO/DH got shards of glass in his foot the doctor was very sensible and up-front.  He did not want to do surgery to remove the glass because it is risky to operate on feet -- 1/4th of all the ligaments in the body are in that tiny space, so it's hard to avoid aggravating them.

Prescription?  BF soaked foot morning and night in the hottest water he could stand, with as much Epsom Salt in it as would dissolve.  Worked wonderfully!! Over the course of about a week, every bit of glass gradually worked it's way to the surface and could be removed by tweezers and a bit of pressure.  I have since met people who have used salts to work wood out of their feet, and one friend who had various shards of ceramic materials taken out of his hands this way.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 09:25:46 PM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011 07:53:32 AM »

Well, back from the doc, and it was good.... even the scalpelling part!  The truth is that the doctor used the scalpel to slide across the surface of the skin (no incisions were made at all, nor did he intend to, unless completely necessary) because it would 'catch' slightly against tiny pieces of glass so that he could find more of them to tweezer out. I didn't even feel it.  No cutting, no blood, no squeezing.... just sitting there completely still so he could get the little pieces.  Sooooo.... I'm a bit of a silly goose, getting myself all flustered for no good reason.  Note to self:  HE is the one with the medical degree, not me, and I should probably quit thinking of him as the dentist from Little Shop of Horrors.

Anchor-Hocking finally emailed me, offered to replace the baking dish (still a little nervous.  It might make a nice succulent garden planter though) , and the cost of the glass to the oven.  Since insurance is going to replace it, I asked if they'd be willing to pay the deductible instead, so we'll see.

All is well that's ending well, it seems.  Thanks for all of your suggestions and concern!  I have now learned two new ways to get rid of glass (soap and tape), and to have epsom salts available at all times. Does anyone happen to know if the salts work on pet slivers too?  None of my dogs have splinters of glass on them (thank goodness) but it's more of a thing for future knowledge, should it ever come up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011 10:49:16 AM »

Epsoms salts draw so if you could get the pups to sit with their feet in a bucket of hot water and salt (ya, right!) it might work. May I suggest that you soak again after your trip to the doc? It will help heal any little cuts as well as working loose anything that may have got left behind or worked it's way into your foot a bit and gone unnoticed.

I use those glass dishes to store food in the fridge, if they make one with a lid you could request that sort. Hopefully they'll cover your deductable and make sure their manufacturing is up to standards so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julia Sweeney on Motherhood
Julie Sarkissian on Her Lead Character From Dear Lucy
Sabin Willett on the Inspiration Behind Abide With Me
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...