A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bake and Botch? (Or... my kitchen exploded last night)  (Read 9019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011 10:19:12 AM »

It could have had a microscopic crack from a bump or a very tiny air bubble, you just never know with glass. If you set it down in the sink too hard one time you would never think that it could be enough to make it shatter later on but you just never know, even the smallest of cracks can disturb the integrity of the glass.
I use them for storage only, better than plastic for fridge or freezer but when they get super cold you just never know either so I try to be super careful with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011 11:19:28 AM »

Great news! Except for a $100 deductible, the oven is covered under our insurance. I will never, ever snicker at explosion clauses again, figuring that there is no way that anything in my house could possibly explode.

And now for a PSA: If you rent, and don't have renter's insurance.... get some. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Cadaverxstitch

Need a custom cross stitch pattern done?  PM me!
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011 02:28:14 PM »

AWESOME!!!!

Never occurred to us to get insurance to fix it. (Of course, mine was my own dang fault...) So glad yours is covered!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011 04:09:54 PM »

Yay for insurance! I have renter's insurance. Friends lost their entire house with everything they owned last year, except a goldfish that someone grabbed on the way out the door Wink. Insurance is sometimes really, really worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011 04:52:03 PM »

OMG - that is the most extreme case of glass bakeware explosion I have seen, to have taken out even the oven door.  Thank goodness noone was hurt, especially with dogs and kids in the house!

Glad to hear that your insurance will cover replacing the damage - does that mean new stove period, or just replacing the glass?  What about replacement cookware?  I think that the newer glass bakeware is not as carefully produced, or tempered as it used to be.  But it could very well be that there was a tiny fine bubble or crack in the glass from previous use.

Completely agree with the renters insurance.  Had a coworker who had parents who forced her to get it when she moved out.  Within a couple of months of her moving out, there was a massive storm, which lifted off part of the roof of the building next to hers, and a chunk of roof crashed through her wall into her closet.  She ended up replacing her entire wardrobe, and thank goodness she was not home at the time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011 05:25:19 PM »

A little update: I called my doctor today to politely inquire about how to get multiple itty bitty slivers out of one's feet, and apparently I get to go in tomorrow so that he can remove them.  I'm a little freaked-- I hate having my feet touched so very much that I have NEVER had a pedicure.  Oh yeah, and did I mention that he's talking about injecting my poor feet with lidocaine, then tweezering the bits out? He said something about a scalpel too, but I am choosing to mentally block that at the moment and focus on the much friendlier tweezers.  Ack.

According to the insurance company after seeing photos, it means a new stove, period. There were a lot more photos, and the insurance company decided that for them to replace both the panes of glass, plus the door seal, plus all the extra bibs-n-bobs that it would need.... a new stove would be a much better solution, so yay!  There will be no replacement cookware, but I'm okay with that. I doubt I'll be using glassware for cooking anytime soon, so replacing it isn't much of an issue for me.  Oh, and I also should add that before getting into the specifics of what happened, my insurance company asked first if the kids were okay, which wasn't a HUGE thing for them to do but wins them much love from me!

Your co-worker was very lucky!  That would have scared the jeepers out of me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011 05:58:12 PM »

Do I understand this right, that you have been walking around for days now with Glass in your FEET? R U CRAZY?! Get you to the doctor quick woman! My word!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011 06:33:14 PM »

Well.... yes.  Yes I have.

But in my defense, they aren't huge chunks of glass, and it's not some horror movie looking thing, but it's more like I decided to wear insoles made out of fiberglass.  They are just teeny tiny slivers, and they are too small to get with tweezers or even white glue.  I explained this to my doc, but he was having NONE of my tomfoolery and wanted to see me tomorrow.

The little itty shards would work themselves out eventually, and since they are mostly just in the callouses (yes, I have hobbity feet) they don't bother me much at all.   They do, however, twinkle fetchingly when the light hits them just right, which infuriates me because I KNOW they are there, I just can't get them!

You're right though, I really do need to get this taken care of.  I will now slink off, head hung in shame.  SHAME, I say!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011 07:01:37 PM »

Soak those buggers in epsom salts mama. That should draw some of them out at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011 08:21:35 PM »

Holy cow. You've been walking on GLASS and we've all been ranting about a stupid inanimate object.

I'm sorry, though I very much understand the "hobbity" bit. I can walk on gravel, from years of wearing shoes only when forced (both as a child and since I quit work to stay home!). Still, that cannot be comfortable. Glad you're going to an expert. Take book on tape and a lollipop, or something otherwise similarly distracting. (Knitting?)

When I rented, I could never afford renter's insurance (so I told myself, as I wasted money on eating out, etc.). Since I started buying houses, insurance is not an option. We have every kind imaginable! It just wouldn't have occurred to me to make a claim! (We've probably wasted thousands that way!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Handmade Notebooks
How to Make Large Crepe Paper Flowers
The Basics of Using Glue for Crafts
How to Sew Butterfly Finger Puppets
How to Make an Accordion Memory Photo Album
Latest Blog Articles
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...