A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bake and Botch? (Or... my kitchen exploded last night)  (Read 7563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erikau
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011 01:42:10 PM »

Apparently the American manufacturers of 'oven proof' glass no longer use borosilicate glass, which is highly heat resistant.  I don't know why the formula was changed, probably due to cost. 

I would suggest at least writing a letter to Anchor-Hocking (and send pictures).  The fact that it didn't even make it all the way out of the oven should indicate to them that it wasn't caused by user error!

So glad you all seem to have escaped mostly unscathed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
How Lovely
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011 01:47:34 PM »

A good way to pick up those tiny glass shards is with a block of soap... so I hear Smiley Obviously throw it out after Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011 02:08:12 PM »

Even borosilicate glass (pyrex) can shatter unexpectedly. It's happened in museums where a piece has sat undisturbed for years then one day inexplicably shatters into fragments. This is why ahem glass ahem adult toys ahem are such a stupid, stupid idea. I couldn't believe it when I realized that sort of thing was being sold but it is indeed. But that's a bit off topic, isn't it? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011 02:12:04 PM »

Erikau- Yep, it's true.  It's now made out of tempered soda lime glass, which is less resistant to thermal shock. The Anchor Hocking website says it was changed for environmental reasons, but I'm sure the fact that borosilicate glass was more expensive may have had just a little something to do with it too.  The amount of complaints I have seen about this very thing happening (ours is the only case I've found where it's shattered the oven door) make me VERY wary about using glassware in the kitchen anymore.  I think I'll shell out the extra cash and go with stoneware, decent quality metal, or ceramic.  Lesson learned: when a $10 baking dish ruins a $700 oven, a $20 roast, and causes hours of cleanup as well as an unexpected meal out, it's not much of a deal anymore.

How Lovely- That's a great idea, and will likely help get the "meat juice residue" off too!  I'll give it a try!

Craftylittlemonkey- You just made me and my ladybits wince at the very thought.  You've proven that things could indeed be much, MUCH worse.  I can't even imagine how I'd begin explaining THAT one to the doctor. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Cadaverxstitch

Need a custom cross stitch pattern done?  PM me!
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011 02:45:50 PM »

Yikes! Glad nobody lost an eye or anything. I'm now looking at my glass dishes with a weather eye, wondering which is old enough and which needs to be replaced!

If hubby is handy, too, you guys can order the part and replace that window yourself...we did! MUUUCH cheaper! WE have a double oven, I opened the top door with dripping wet hands (DUH) and it SHATTERED (though only like safety glass and not like it was hit with a bomb, like yours). When we checked about replacing the door, the oven(s) or the glass, we found out it was all or nothing--or mismatched doors at the very least.

So we ordered the glass. About $80, if I remember right. It came with all the rubber gaskets. It took a little doing and BOTH of us, but we did it. That was a couple of years ago, and it's working fine. Good luck!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 02:51:26 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
D.I.Y.-ish

If it ain't broke...am I in the right house?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011 02:51:30 PM »

Oh my goodness!
I had the same thing happen to me fifteen years ago, glass cake pan, and we were cooking in a wood cookstove. took the cake out, it was beautiful btw Smiley, and it shattered in my hands. dang good thing i had the mitts on, but I dont get it, bc my kitchen was really warm...*shrug* It's not happened since, but its a good reminder to have a healthy respect for cookware lol.

I'm really glad you and yours werent seriously injured.
and good thing you have a backup cooking method!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her." Agatha Christie
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011 03:10:46 PM »

I actually told an internet acquaintance about this, and he demanded my address so he and his wife could send us a george foreman grill, to help us out.  My cooking methods have just been expanded exponentially, and wowza, what a sweetheart.  He and his wife are both very, very kind people.

I'll look into replacing the glass.  We have a triple pane, and two of the panes are broken so I'm not sure how it would work, but it's definitely worth some research.  I'd rather not pay hundreds of dollars if I dont have to. 

And I have never heard of this shattering glassware thing before, but I am amazed at how many people this has happened to.  You ladies (and guys, maybe? I cant tell by username!) have been wonderfully supportive, and between your good ideas, your funnies, and your bits of advice, you've proven once again that Craftster is where it's at.  I <3 you guys, you've just made a bad day SO much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011 03:37:47 PM »

GRILL! Well, that makes things a bit better. What a scary, terrible thing to have happen. I get upset when I drop a glass in the kitchen, I can't imagine the oven door going! Good thing you are all ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011 04:01:39 PM »

Oh my gosh I've never heard of this before! So glad that no one was seriously hurt!
The most I've done is a dropped drinking glass or bowl. My mom taught me to make a thick pad of paper towels and dampen it, and run that over the floor. It takes a while, and you need to go way outside the area where you think bits could have possibly landed-it's unbeliveable how far they spread. But it will pick up all the teeny invisible splinters and shards that you can't see, that a broom or mop won't catch, that will still get in unsuspecting feet if you miss them.
And if this happens on carpet(Hey, a sis of mine lived somewhere with a carpeted kitchen) I bet one of those sticky lint rollers would work.
It is a pain being ovenless. My first apartment, the stovetop worked, but not the oven, and the landlord wouldn't fix it. I used my microwave an awful lot until I moved out.
Does your area have a Habitat for Humanity store? They have all kind of stuff donated by builders and remodelers for sale, usually pretty darn cheap.
Good luck to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Coupon code CRAFTSTER for 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011 04:09:30 PM »

What makes matters worse is that hubs is a combat vet with ptsd... so yeah, a bomb going off in the house was all kinds of badness.  I tried the paper towel thing, and then the soap thing afterwards.  I THINK i got it all..... (famous last words, Ill probably impale myself on a stray piece of glass tomorrow)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transform Into Taylor Swift
Pick Up This Purse Essential on Your Next Grocery Trip
The Best Beauty Products for Summer Chosen by Essence
High School-Appropriate Makeup Tutorial
The Look: A Fresh Faced Modern Bride
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...