A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mystery fleece, where to begin? & what are they? (pic obese)  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2011 11:33:02 AM »

So I picked up these raw fleeces from a couple in Asheville a few days ago. I've always wanted to learn to process raw wool, spin, dye, and then use the yarn for my knitting and crocheting. The Craigslist ad said it was 4 fleeces, including 1 angora. They were moving, so the guy just kind of set the boxes in my truck with a smile and they went got back to work, so no time for questions. (He was wearing a fabulous hat that he had knitted.)

What I'm hoping for is help identifying what kind of fleeces I have here, as well as which would be the easiest for a rank beginner to start with, and what bare-bones equipment I'll need, as my budget is practically nonexistent. Here they are:

Mystery fleece 1:

Somewhat coarse, locks are about 6 - 7" long stretched out, not greasy at all
-
Mystery fleece 2:

Soft, greasy, locks about 3" long. Romney? Something else??
-
Mystery fleece 3:

Softer by far then the first one, not as soft as the second. Locks about 5", very curly, not very greasy-feeling
-
Closeup of number 3:

-
Mystery fleece 4:

Soft, curly, rather difficult to separate a lock from the rest, locks about 2.5" long, not greasy, some white hairs running through it
-

Closeup of number 4
-

handful of number 4
-
Mystery fleece 5:

What IS this? short little fibers, maybe an inch long, soft, very black, hold together very well, but lots of little short pieces left behind when you pick up a wad of it. Rabbit?? I wouldn't think it would be from the belly of number 4 because it is much darker, a completely different feel, and there are several small bags of it. Hmm.

So, where would you start? Any ideas what kind of wool I have, and what did he mean by angora -- goat, or rabbit? Does it look like I got some good stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 02:26:38 PM »

angora probably is rabbit, and I'd bet that's what # 5 is. angora is extremely soft.  But I'd think so anyway especially because it's short and not in locks.

#1 + 3 are long wools, #1 has a high luster, and could be mohair, but maybe not.  There are sheep who make wool with the same amount of luster as mohair.

#2 is more of a fine wool, at least by look.  The crimping is common to fine wools, as the more looping curl is to long wools.  Think merino, but it may not be that exact breed.  (although, it's not Romney, I've a Romney fleece myself, it's a higher luster fiber.   Roll Eyes)

#4 is not like anything I've seen before. so, I can't tell you that one.

as for the rest, do you know how to spin? because if not, this may not be the place to start.

but, generally, one combs longwools and cards fine wools, and carding is easier, and cards are slightly cheaper than combs ( though not by much).  And generally fine wools are for close to the skin and longwools are for outerwear, but there are some longwools soft enough to wear against one's skin.

you can spin uncombed long locks into a novelty yarn, but that may not be what you want to knit with for the rest of your life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 05:19:50 PM »

#1 & 3 looks to me to be Angora goat, i.e. mohair

#2 looks to be Corriedale, but could another fine-medium wool breed.  Great crimp on that one!

#4 appears to be an alpaca cria.  #5 looks to be 2nd cuts of #4.

Where to start?  Those fleeces need cleaning (scouring) before you go farther.

I have some links about cleaning fleeces.

After that, determine if you want to wet felt, needle felt, spin, or weave!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 05:22:46 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Save Love Give Campaign - Vera Launch at the United Nations
"The Rachael Ray Show": Twin Mother Makeovers
Best Dressed Stars: J Lo, Michelle Obama and Jessica Alba
How to Perfect Your Après-Ski Style
Red Carpet Raves: J Lo, Jessica Alba and Rita Ora Make Statements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...