A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Less impasto with a lino print?  (Read 921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

czarina
« on: February 06, 2011 08:17:39 AM »

Hey guys!

I had some design ideas for cards that I wanted to test out, but I don't know enough about linoprinting to make even fields of color. I've gotten nice impasto which works well on some designs, but not everything I want to make will look good that way. I'm using speedball's waterbased inks on a butcher tray with a soft rubber brayer.

Here's the best of my impasto ones:

Can anyone give me some tips? I've done internet searches and looked up videos on youtube, but there's something that I'm just not getting. Incidentally, I started using my brayer to load rubber stamps with ink and it works really well if you want a nice, light clear print. I used to have a lot of trouble getting good results with larger rubber stamps, but the brayer has solved that for me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 08:18:40 AM by czarina » THIS ROCKS   Logged
minouette
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011 10:21:24 AM »

Hi there,

Let's see if I can help.
First, I think I need a little more information:
-what sort of ink are you using?
-what sort of paper are you using?
-how are you printing them (i.e. with a press? with a wooden spoon? with a baren?)

From the photo it looks like - maybe- your ink is a wee bit too thick and possibly uneven (which works really well with your tree! but I can see it might not suit all purposes). You could try pulling a few proofs before you print the cards so you get a really nice texture. Also, it looks like you might be using a very heavy weight paper (cardstock?). Unless you have an actual press, it will be very hard to get a nice print with such paper. Investing in some thin, but strong paper, like Japanese kozo paper (my personal favorite) might make this easier.

Good luck,
minouette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011 08:33:07 AM »

First off, I love your tree prints, ironically I've always had trouble achieving nice impasto prints and I always end up with nice smooth prints.. so maybe I can help? (lol)

Are you mixing any retarder into your ink?  Since you are using a waterbased ink, it will start to dry almost immediately, which can make it hard to evenly roll the ink.  Of course, this will make your prints dry a bit slower (but with smaller prints, and using only 1/3rd mix of retarder, my prints still dry in about 2-3 hours). 

Also, how are you rolling the ink?  Before you ink your lino, the entire brayer should be evenly and thinly covered (when you run it through your ink it should make a very quiet suction-y sound).  If you have too much ink on your roller, it will cause peaks, stick more, and make a noisier wet sound.  If this happens, just roll the ink more to get some off.  Once your brayer is properly inked, you can ink your lino, but don't roll it more then 2-3 times and don't put too much pressure on it (otherwise the ink will be pushed off the sides of your carving, which causes loss of detail).

My last tip/ advice depends on how you actually print them.  I'm going to assume that you are not using a press, and are using hand pressing methods.  I find that the easiest way to achieve even printing is to have another (clean and dry!!) brayer handy to gently roll over the back of the paper.  This method is a little delicate, as you have to make sure not to move the paper at all, but I find that with lino the inks usually hold the paper in place while I do this. 

Here is a link to a picture of some of my mini lino prints:
http://bulbasaureyes.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/cat_tags.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
twinkle409
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012 12:35:12 AM »

This looks really creative and innovative idea. I could suggest one idea as its similar to the pattern if warli painting, you can add the design of warli painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cast Off and Hide Loose Ends LH
Crochet Cast off and Hide Loose Ends
Country Decorating Fruit Crate
Learn about Quilting, Quakes and Food Quantities
How to Arrange Ikebana Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...