A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,950
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Supplies  (Read 2536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snazzyness
« on: February 06, 2011 05:37:49 AM »

Hello,

I really want to get into scrapbooking but i have no idea where to start with the collecting of supplies and where to get them from?

Help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreams keep you sane and randomness keeps life interesting.
davidsdesire
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011 06:05:52 PM »

*warning-warning* It's a slippery slope, that scrapbooking supply thing.  I tend to collect tons that I never use.  Having said that...

Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics all carry supplies.  Target carries a little bit.  There are many good online sites:  twopeasinabucket.com, scrapyourtrip.com, scrapbooking.com, scrapbuck.com to name a few.  Twopeas has a wonderful message board and a member gallery that is great for inspiration.  Watch the sales, too, each week the stores tend to put a certain 'thing' on sale...paper one week, albums another, stickers/embellishments another.

I would sort thru my photos first and decide what 'subject' i wanted to scrap...a disney vacation, a trip to italy, a wedding, your halloween party, your baby's photos...then shop for paper, items in that theme.   And don't forget to keep an eye open for other possibilities--costume jewelry, silk flowers, buttons, almost anything goes in scrapbooking these days.  Be creative.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011 03:11:50 AM »

That is an expensive hobby. Cheesy! Ask me how I know. I don't scrapbook but I am right in it.

This is a great site listing for frugal scrapping: http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/184183/view/135237.html You will get some great ideas for a basic list that won't cost you an arm and leg.

I have contributed to some of the threads on that link too in case you see me pop up. I am not a stalker. Just a voracious reader. Smiley

Scrappers will give you a basic supply list that will have ten billion items on it and nothing you can use. Everything from a Cricut to black journaling pen.

The best advice I ever heard was buy a premade kit. I heard that from a professional scrapbooker. There are such pretty ones out. You can get a huge kit for $20. It will have everything you need. If you use a coupon at your craft store you can get it even cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
davidsdesire
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011 03:43:16 AM »

while i agree that kits are very nice for 'cookie cutter' scrapping, they don't allow for much creativity.  I would also see if there are any crops at the stores--Michael's used to have them I know--google 'scrapbook stores' in your area.

Like i said...twopeas has a great gallery for inspiration..you can look up layouts by theme which really helps sort thru the mass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snazzyness
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011 07:53:33 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys i will get on researching  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreams keep you sane and randomness keeps life interesting.
embercostumer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011 01:00:33 PM »

When I started I had a friend who was into scrapbooking and I asked her to donate any old/unwanted papers and stuff, so I had a little stash to build from. She eventually went digital and gave me all of her stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011 11:26:37 AM »

As a Scrapper, I will warn you, there are billions of tools and supplies out there. But, most aren't anything you or I would have the money or space for LOL
First, decide on a theme for the book. Will it be a single event, like a wedding, or many events, like Halloweens through the years. Will it focus on one person, or an entire group? Then decide on a size. I like 8x8 inch books, there's not too much space to fill.
Gather your pictures and look for similar colors, because this will help buy supplies.
You will NEED...
A metal ruler OR ruler with a metal edge
An XActo or mat knife and a few extra blades
A good, sharp scissor
Photos and any other bits to add, like ticket stubs, business card, or invite from an event
A book, or album, to scrapbook in. I prefer the type with plastic sleeves to slip the pages in, so I   can rearrange pages later if need be
A pencil
Paper broken down into Cardstock, thicker oaktag type paper, and regual paper, often patterned
Adhesive I use Magna-Tac or Fabri-Tac by Beacon Adhesives, a little bit goes a long way and it doesn't leave lumps in my paper
A good pen with a fine tip

Supplies you'll NEED eventually....
A paper trimmer, either a guillotine or rotary blade last a long time

You'll also want to consider tools that are multi use, i use my Crop-A-Dial eyelet setter for paper and also thin tin buckets from Target, cardboard, and a new hole in my belt when I lost weight. For fancier touches, ribbon or fibers, polymer clay charms, cross stitch title blocks.... any other craft you do can probably be incorporated into scrapbooking.

There are a few important things to remember...
Have fun
This is addictive
You want your book to last a long time and not fade so look for "Acid free", "Lignen-free", or "Scrapbook-Safe" on the packages of papers you'll use.
You can get supplies on sale, or in bulk, or trade for Cricut diecuts, or use a coupon at a major craft store (check online, AC Moore and Michael's both have printable 40% off any non sale item). You do not have to spend a billion dollars to make a scrapbook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
lylacfey
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011 05:31:20 AM »

World of Hoard-Craft- You had the best advice. I loved your post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011 05:41:22 AM »

They all pretty much said what I would say, but I would add one thing:  A multi-compartment storage bin (before you even start buying the other things).   You will need it, and even if  you go with smaller scrapbooks, invest in the 12x12.  You'll want the space for something eventually. 

As was posted, it's a slippery slope, and as my DH will attest, you find yourself keeping the oddest things... My DH drew the line at me saving the little tabs from bread bags.  *laughing at self* 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saintcady
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012 11:34:24 PM »

Hi, I'm hoping this comment isn't a faux pas of some sort, but it seems right in line with supply discussions: I'm organizing a craft supply swap right now called swap your stash where we're trading/de-stashing supplies. I have tons of scrapbooking supplies I'm looking to send to a new home and I don't think I'm the only one. If you want to check it out here's the thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=406449.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLCM
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012 06:51:46 AM »

It is definitely a slippery slope...

Definitely look for sales... I've found some great ones at scrapbooking.com and Joanns usually has their scrapbooking stuff on sale 40% off (Hint - pick out what you like and put it in your shopping cart and wait for a sale!)

My list of "must haves"

Paper - prints and solids...

Adhesive - some sort of double stick tape - I use the ATG gun, but started w/ 3M double stick tape from Walmart - also what I get people for "starter" gifts

Paper trimmer - wait for a sale or coupon

Maybe some letter stickers if you don't like your handwriting...  Alphabet stamps and some ink pads (check for acid free) are also a cheap/reuseable option.

Other than that the rest is embellishments... That's where the fun begins...

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
richardm
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012 08:07:57 AM »

To make the "slippery slope" to this hobby a little less steep, you can also have
a "less is more" theme, or "lucky seven" where you pick up 7 kinds of items
from an online supply and use that with a base project (say a series of pics
at the beach last week).  You'll be surprised how you'll squeeze that
creativity even with this suggested minimalist (in kind, not in size) approach. Smiley  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Magazine Reveals Their 10 Best Dressed American Women Of The Year
Lady In Red: Rihanna Rocks Barely There Calvin Klein Dress
Kristen Stewart Goes From Sexy To Modest In A Day
Fashion Trends: All About The Boots
How to Refresh Your Office Look for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...