A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Microwave popcorn without the bag!  (Read 24608 times)
Tags for this thread: popcorn , craftster_best_of_2011 , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2011 08:20:29 PM »

So, we've all heard about BPA's in our water bottles, cans, and baby bottles, and about how they mess with our kids' glandular systems (including their hormones), and how these are sometimes found in cancers, especially breast cancers. Thanks to an article that I read the other day, I found out that our microwave popcorn bags are LINED WITH THE STUFF, and more or less melt down into the popcorn! It's also laden with all kinds of nasty hydrogenated fats, and so on. So....
In order to STOP giving my kids a seriously contaminated batch of movie-night snackage, I figured out how to do micro corn, without the d*mned filthy, contaminating bag. Grab a 1.5- 2 quart Pyrex-type casserole dish with a lid. (It HAS to be microwave safe!) Into this, add:

1 t. oil (I used canola, but any cooking oil should work)
3 Tbsp. raw popcorn

I shook the casserole, sans lid, around to coat the kernels. Then, I set the microwave for 5 minutes, put the lid on, ran the corn in the micro, and watched closely. Ours popped most of the kernels in about 4.5 minutes. I then added sea salt, stirred it up, and had some FANTASTIC oil-popped corn for the boys! I would suggest that you watch closely, to make sure that you don't burn/undercook your corn, depending on your microwave, and to figure out what the right time is for your machine. But it's really good- crisp, tastes like actual popcorn, and is just as convenient as the bagged stuff- without the extra chemicals.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
SMLounsbury
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011 09:08:36 PM »

Awesome.  We gave up bagged popcorn years ago but it has always been a loud pain in the behind to make it on the stove, so this will definitely come in handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011 09:41:52 PM »

you can also use a regular brown paper (lunch) bag (or the ones the mushrooms come in at the grocery store)

just add the kernels into the bag roll up the edge a little bit (enough but not too much) and put in microwave. timing is harder because you cannot see it.  then add delicious flavours after its done. YUM!

another alternative if you do not have a microwaveable bowl with lid.

thanks for your tips too!!  now i want popcorn!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011 10:29:46 PM »

I have an air popper, and I have to say it's saved us mucho $$ in the long run cause the bags of kernals are so much cheaper...plus I was wanting to cut down on my salts and butters so the air popped corn is much healthier. And less chemicalish too, apparently!

But it's nice to know that there's a microwave alternative for if our popper breaks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011 04:26:37 AM »

thanks so much, i had no idea you could make it in the microwave. and as for BPA...yeah. evil nastyness which is being eradicated from my home. began with my daughter's lunch things at the start of september.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharonelaine
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011 11:43:38 AM »

Cool idea!  I used to make mine on the stovetop, but it's pretty tough to get right with an electric stove.  Glad we're moving to a place with gas again.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011 01:30:28 PM »

We went from using microwave popcorn to using a 'whirley popper' on top of the stove. It has a lever in the handle which you crank to make an arm on the inside of the pot stir up the kernels so they don't get burned while they pop. I absolutely adore it & use mine every week because I have a serious popcorn addiction! It tastes like how I remember my grandma's popcorn on the stove tasted!  Smiley
I may use this method of microwaving when I don't want to wait for it to cook on the stove for the kids.

If anyone is interested, here's the link to buy your own whirley popper: http://www.popcornpopper.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011 06:26:31 PM »

Mom taught us the stove-top technique, I always get sore arm muscles afterward due to lifting and shaking.  Nice exercise, though.  This microwave technique is so simple and easy.  I want popcorn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011 05:52:36 AM »

We went from using microwave popcorn to using a 'whirley popper' on top of the stove. It has a lever in the handle which you crank to make an arm on the inside of the pot stir up the kernels so they don't get burned while they pop. I absolutely adore it & use mine every week because I have a serious popcorn addiction! It tastes like how I remember my grandma's popcorn on the stove tasted!  Smiley
I may use this method of microwaving when I don't want to wait for it to cook on the stove for the kids.

If anyone is interested, here's the link to buy your own whirley popper: http://www.popcornpopper.com/

If I recall correctly, they have them at Target, and possibly Wal-Mart too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
r0ck0n
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011 05:30:40 PM »

you can also use a regular brown paper (lunch) bag (or the ones the mushrooms come in at the grocery store)

just add the kernels into the bag roll up the edge a little bit (enough but not too much) and put in microwave. timing is harder because you cannot see it.  then add delicious flavours after its done. YUM!

another alternative if you do not have a microwaveable bowl with lid.

thanks for your tips too!!  now i want popcorn!!

i assume oil doesn't have to be added to use the paper bag technique?

thank you, this microwave thing is something I'll have to try Smiley I've recently learned how to make it on the stove top, which i thoroughly enjoy not only for the health reasons (less worry of strange chemicals, etc) but simply for the freedom to flavor it as I please, with whatever odd spice  or seasoning strikes my fancy Smiley however, microwaving seems way easier than lugging around a huge pot on the stove!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Meet Author Sheila Weller
Max Watman Talks About Chasing the White Dog
Andrew Clements Discusses His Own Qualities
Author Harold Holzer Discusses Lincoln President-Elect
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...