A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Beach House series (the first 9)  (Read 620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeanniepep
« on: February 05, 2011 04:29:08 PM »

I have an extreme obsession with cute houses on tropical islands, the cheery colors of the buildings against the lovely clear skies, soft white sands, and brightly colored foliage.  Key West enchants me to no end, I love the architecture and landscape almost as much as the bars full of characters!  So, to create some colorful sunshiny energy during this harsh winter, I decided to challenge myself to make a series of 27 Beach Houses.

The rules: 1) Each one must be unique, 2) Each must include a variety of materials, 3) ALL materials must be from my current stash - no shopping, and 4) Each should be the same approximate size (around 7" x 9").

I thought this would be a good way to force myself to be a little bit creative in thinking up multiple ways to present the same theme, especially trying to come up with ways to make each unique without going outside my current supply of fabric/thread/yarn/paint/etc.  I'm one-third of the way to my goal, so here are the first 9!

Beach House #1 has a pink house with a flannel penguin roof, set against sky & sand made from old t-shirts (don't worry, they were clean!).  Most of the stitches are just straight stitches, with lazy daisies on the roof and some of the grass, X-es around the edge are hard to see in the photo.  Everything was attached with light fusible web before stitching to keep it flat!  The sun is a glittery bit of yarn and the cloud is a light bit of polyfill.  There's a light layer of quilt batting in-between the design and a fleece backing, and it can be hung by the attached ribbon.

Beach House #2 depicts a stormier day with a darker sky, and an active ocean with waves made of yarn.  The ground is a t-shirt, the house is flannel with paper doors & windows and a button doorknob.  The sun (lurking behind the polyfill cloud) is a bit of crumpled tissue paper.  Again most of the stitches are straight, but this time the roof has a chain stitch.

#3 is a bit sunnier!  Sand, sky, and tree trunk are all t-shirts, the roof and sun are flannel, and the palm leaves are taken off some fake flowers.  Straight stitches around the sun, roof, and tree base; x-stitches around the house, and chain-stitch attaches the design to the fleece backing.

#4 looks a lot better in person!  The house is shiny satin, so it kept reflecting the camera flash and washed out all the photos.  The sun is glitter yarn surrounded by straight stitches; the house is straight-stitched and the roof is lazy-daisies.  Around the edge (hard to see in the photo), the stitches form a wave pattern.  The shells are attached with embroidery thread - it took me hours to get the right combo to get them to stay put, but now they're not going anywhere!

#5 is a bit of a departure from the sand/sky background; it's a bit of blue remnant fabric that seemed boring so I painted waves on it (acrylic). The island (also embellished with paint) and tree trunk are t-shirts, and the house, roof, and palm leaves are old upholstery samples.  Straight stitches on just about everything here.

#6 is an entire beach condo!  The condo is an upholstery sample with a paper roof; the sand and tree trunk are t-shirts, the towel is shiny satin, and the palm leaves are from fake flowers with buttons for coconuts.  The grass and sunshine are painted; the sun is stitched too.  All straight stitches on this one too.

#7 has upholstery for the beach, and crinkled tissue paper for the house with cardstock door and windows.  The sun and the doorknob are small beads.  Chain stitches on the roof, x-stitches to attach the design to the fleece backing, and straight stitches everywhere else.

#8 is mounted on burlap and fleece, the house is cut out from a newspaper ad, the sun is glitter yarn, t-shirt tree trunk, and fake flower leaves for the tree leaves. X-stitches around the edge but otherwise straight stitches.

#9's house is also from a newspaper ad, the same ad as #8 in fact!  The roof is crocheted and attached with floss.  Glitter yarn sun, upholstery sand, and t-shirt tree trunk with fake flower leaves.  I can't believe I actually found seashells in my stash that matched the purple newspaper ad, but there they are!  Lazy-daisy stitches around the house, straight stitches everywhere else.

PHEW, that's the first 9!  Thank you for taking the time to look, they were fun to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muddlepud
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 08:20:11 AM »

These are so, so, so cool. I love the way they all work together but are just enough different to be interesting. Really loving the different textures and materials you've got there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 08:29:51 AM »

These are beautiful! You are going to have a great looking neighborhood when you get through with all 27 (heck, it's already a great looking neighborhood!). I agree with Muddlepud on enjoying the different textures and materials you're incorporating into these Smiley It's hard to choose a favorite amongst all of these because they're all so unique from one another. I can't wait to see more of these when you get them posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011 08:59:03 AM »

Those are so great! I love how each one is different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
jeanniepep
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011 09:46:56 AM »

Thanks so much!!  You guys really made my day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011 01:11:35 PM »

Very cool.  They brought back some fond Key West memories.  If you're looking for some inspiration for your next two sets, listen to "Tin Cup Chalice," "Last Mango In Paris," or "Woman Goin' Crazy On Caroline Street" by Jimmy Buffett.  Those are all songs he wrote about Key West while living there...of course there are more, but those are my favorite Key West songs and every time I here them I feel like I'm back on Duval Street (or at least I wish I was!!) ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011 03:35:18 PM »

Brilliant.  You have whisked me away on a little mental vacation.  Grin  Fantastic textures and stitching, super beachy colors.  Looking forward to the whole series.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Butter Chicken
How to Cook the Spinach and Finish the Palak Paneer
How to Cut and Pan Fry Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Garam Masala
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...