A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Recon Fireplace  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2011 12:25:08 PM »

when we moved into our rented house three years ago, we had a gas fire and back-boiler. this was condemned just over a week after we moved in....the less said about having to fight the landlord and then threatening legal action to get it fixed, the better lol!!

anyways, boiler was replaced with a new condenser located upstairs, fire removed and the hole in the wall was never fixed up. frankly we didnt want to rock the boat any more lol!!

we did nothing for three years. we lived with a hole in the wall, blocked up with cardboard boxes. no w couldnt remove the cladding and fix it properly, the brickwork behind was of no use to man or beast and the acoutrements of the old boiler were left in situ so we were happier to cover it all up and ignore it.

here is the finished fire place

the base piece has now been sanded and oiled, but I've not got another picture yet.

his whole recon cost me and my husband 5. 3 for the shelf, 2 for the canvasses for doing the painting. one large, one small. the twigs were free, the wood free.

the wood of the fire surround was partly packing crate from our washing machine bought last year, and partly packing crates of cheap chipboard wood which hubby's work uses for transporting things. they usually have to pay by weight to have it removed so are only too happy to let my hubby bring loads home for shelves, shed floor and whatnot lol.

the pictures don't (imho) give the full glory of the fire painting. it not only has the licking flames, but is also embroidered with metalic thread as sparks and has some glitter too. it also now has more twigs shoved between the baseboard and the painting to make it more realistic.

it gives a lovely feel to the room now, and yay! no more crappy hole!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnarchyCupcakes
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011 01:00:09 PM »

What a great idea!  Sucks you had to go through all that to get your landlord to take care of business... but what a conversation piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennysimpson
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012 12:27:11 AM »

LOL!!! love these idea, having a landlady like that is one of the reasons why me and my hubby had decided to take a loan and bought a house instead of renting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012 05:25:53 AM by photojenn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
apis_melis
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012 06:45:44 AM »

Good work! A creative and thrifty idea, executed well.

The gaping hole reminds me of an apartment where the landlord replaced the window frames - with secondhand ones that were neither square nor the right size. There were gaps of 1/4" to 1/2" on either side! It was chilly, but at least I was safe from CO2 and radon. Gotta love landlords - it's not as though they aren't getting thousand of dollars per month, at least not around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012 11:09:34 AM »

What a great idea, and bonus on the cost.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair With Straightening Iron
Hair How To: Hair Jewellery
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
How to Get Disco Hair
How to Create Long Layered Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...