A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New flat, endless possibilities  (Read 487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

y-key
« on: February 05, 2011 11:50:43 AM »

Hey all,

It might not be the exact right place for this, but I really tried looking online for relevant forums and couldn't find any.

My girlfriend and I are moving into a new large (45 m^2 = 480 ft^2) studio, and we are pondering how to arrange and decorate it Huh . The only furniture already there is some kitchen cupboards and a sink, a shower and a toilet seat. Nothing else (not even lamps! only wires hanging from the ceiling). The floor is a kind of ugly light brownish linoleum.

We really like hosting guests for a night, so we were thinking of dividing the big room into a kitchen+living+guest room and a bedroom. We are not sure, though, how to build such a partition that is: 1. movable/foldable so that we can open it during the day and close it at night. 2. somewhat sound isolating when closed. Ideas?

Anyway, the main question is - what layout can you think of, that will let us have a cosy, pretty, livable and lovable home?
Here is the plan of the flat as it is right now:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=428266

And then, of course, it's the question of furnishing and decorating. We are getting a lot of great ideas from these forums, but perhaps you would like to suggest something on this thread? Since it's an empty flat, and we have no furniture to start with at all, the possibilities are endless! Also, if you have any good source of inspiration, like a good design blog, please share it with us Smiley

Here is what we thought of so far. It's not that imaginative, but it's functional...
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=428267

Thanks!!!
Y-key
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011 10:01:19 AM »

just brainstorming for the separation part: heavy curtains that can be opened to one side wall... of look at IKEAHackers.net blog/website, there have been a few projects that did room dividing in studio's, not saying that you need to copy those, but it might spark some inspiration :-)

I'd probably go for a couch that can be turned into a guest bed (not sure what the proper name for those is, english isn't my native tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 03:05:18 PM »

There are foldout coaches, futons that convert from coaches to flat beds and there are Murphey beds. These are all use full ways to make some convertable spaces. The fold out couch is usually very heavy to move and the Murphey bed usually stays where it is build and is a bit more expensive. For mobility, I would say the futon is the most practical but the Murphey bed is probably the most comfortable.

For room dividers you could use book cases. Two set set back to back would be best for sound proofing and privacy but would be less mobile than heavy curtains. you may be able to design something that moved on a pivot sort of like a secret room with a panel but I would be clueless as to how to design it.

For the kitchen I have seen armore's that were mini kitchenettes. It all depends on what you need more space for cooking or living space.

Good luck.
Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Wolf Howling
How to Draw a Wolf Head
How to Draw a Panda
How to Draw a Cute Pig
How to Draw a Penguin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...