A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: River Rock Floor Mat **WITH TUTORIAL and added suggestions**  (Read 136210 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brandnewday
« on: May 29, 2005 08:43:31 AM »

I saw this somewhere else and figured that I could recreate it!!

So Hubby and I went for a little trip to 'the Depot' to collect our supplies.
* 1 roll of that rubbery shelf liner stuff in a neutral color(about $3-$4).
* 1-2 bags of river rocks from the garden center (the 1 to 3 inch variety was about $3 a bag)
* 1 tube of Landscaper's adhesive - I bet you could use silicone, but hubby was with and he's all about making things STRONG. (about $3)
* 1 can of polyurethane

First, I poured out all the rock on the back patio and rinsed them off and let them dry for a day.

Second, I took a roll of that rubber shelf liner stuff and cut it to the size that I wanted.

Third, I started scavenging through all the rocks to find ones that fit together in a cool pattern. It took a while, but I got them all situated. We bought two bags just so that we could find all the 'perfect' rocks.

Fourth, I laid down wax paper underneath the mat, WHICH I DO NOT SUGGEST DOING!, so that the adhesive wouldn't stick to the floor. NEXT TIME, I would use something more durable or easily tearable, not sure what at this point. EDIT: Someone here suggested using polyurethane plastic sheeting, the cheap drop cloth kinds because nothing sticks to that!!

Fifth, I started glueing the rocks down to the mat using the adhesive in a caulk gun. I ended up changing my design a little just because I couldn't keep it all in order as I transfered the rocks from the floor to the mat. EDIT: Also someone suggested using outdoor silicone because the landscape adhesive is really meant to stick rocks together, not really for rocks to plastic. I can say that it's been a while since I originally posted this and about 4 rocks have fallen off my mat, but it's also been moved in and out many times because of the hurricanes and moving to a new house.

Sixth, I waited for two days before I started messing with it. I cut the waxed paper off the back and it was a real pain.  I had to cut around ever dot of adhesive because I couldn't peel the paper off the adhesive. BUT...live and learn right?! Like I mentioned earlier...use the plastic sheeting to avoid this head ache.

Seventh, I trimmed the extra rubber backing off the edges so that it looked cleaner.

Eight...to be completed... I am planning on putting glossy polyurethane on the top to seal it too!

Hope you like it.  Comments appreciated!!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 08:21:35 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com - Check out the 'She Keeps on Stitchin' photo album for finished projects.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ~Einstein
beastbunny
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005 08:51:05 AM »

That is absolutely wonderful!  I want to make one so badly, I bet it feels so good on your feet!  One question-how do you pick it up?  Do you have to hold both sides? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandnewday
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 01:14:02 PM »

That is absolutely wonderful! I want to make one so badly, I bet it feels so good on your feet! One question-how do you pick it up? Do you have to hold both sides?
It's a little floppy when you pick it up.  You pretty much just have to grab on to both sides when you move it. It's a mat so I don't plan on moving it all that much, also it's pretty heavy with all that stone on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com - Check out the 'She Keeps on Stitchin' photo album for finished projects.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ~Einstein
gangstabilly

ask me about my hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 07:39:48 PM »

Very, very nice! My hubby works for Depot,sooooo guess what he's bringing home!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005 07:45:31 PM »

That is very creative and unique!  I like it!  Maybe I'll make one one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005 07:49:02 PM »

Very unique!!  And quite cheap Cheesy  Where are you going to put it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
justanyothergurl

Amelie likes cracking creme brulee with a teaspoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005 08:08:31 PM »

All i could think when i saw that, is that it will be heaven when the sun warms the stones....i love the feeling of hot rocks/tar... ok maybe i'm weird. I like the idea. turned out pretty cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT MTV

Question Assumptions

"the leprechauns are after my stash"
-bearded guy's shirt at the Common Ground Fair
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005 08:46:41 PM »

That is such a neat idea!  I really like it...  Thanks for sharing the great tutorial too, really clear and inspiring.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
SKN725
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 04:40:58 AM »

According to a friend of mine, your hubby is totally correct about using the landscaper's adhesive.  Silicone, HE says, is a sealer, not a glue.  So do you suppose they're right, or is it just a guy thing?  Anyway, it turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Milly
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005 05:19:32 AM »

that looks totally awesome! does it hurt to stand on or have all the rocks been eroded and curved? bet you saved yourself a load off retail price  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry Ingredients
Preparing the Chicken for the Chicken Curry
Browning and Adding Spices to Chopped Onions
Cooking With Sonny With a Chance Star Tiffany Thornton
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...