A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beer and bubbles: First-ever painting! (Image heavy-ish. Beer heavy, too.)  (Read 781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bexedrine
« on: February 04, 2011 10:47:10 PM »

...Okay. That title might be a little misleading. I painted with watercolors and stuff when I was a kid. But really, adult-ish-ly, I've never painted before. So, I've been crafting a lot over the last couple weeks, and I thought, hey, it'd be fun to give *painting* a shot. Artists are so COOL. Anyway, I draw all the time, and at 23, it's about time I move outside my comfort zone.

So, here's the first real painting I did. I can't wait to get better at this. It's so much fun. Someday, I might be proud enough to show stuff I paint to people besides, you know, strangers on the internet Smiley.

Here's the whole thing. Sorry about the mediocre photo quality; all I have is a camera phone! It's acrylic on dirt cheap canvas-board stuff. It's kind of hard to tell, part because of bad painting and part because of the bad pic, but both containers have translucent liquid puddling around them.

And here's a close-up on the bubble part. Next time I try the translucent technique, I'll know to add more pigment to the medium, since this looks so clear you can barely tell it's there. I wanted it to be more obvious the soap was still oozing from the bottle. Oh well!

And finally, a close-up of the sweet, sweet, super-classy PBR. Perspective on the top of the can's a little off, and it bothers me. Anyway, yYou never really appreciate the intricacy of product packaging until you try to duplicate it with cumbersome paintbrushes and a novice knowledge (or lack thereof) of painting technique. Oooops...

It's a kind of rough start, but suffice it to say, I've caught the painting bug! Can't wait to work on more stuff in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally got it all together, but I forgot where I put it.
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011 12:24:37 AM »

I'm genuinely floored that this is your first painting. Such great detail on the Pabst can, and the texture of the spilled bubble liquid and beer are great. Even for being experienced with drawing, to use the paints like that shows some real know-how.

Really fun! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
meowari
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011 04:21:32 AM »

Two great things that go great together! I think it looks great how it is- I don't think I'd like it as much if it was done differently. Sometimes perspective needs to be a little off to show the whole picture. The way you painted it, I pay attention to the little details (I totally noticed the pooling bubble liquid- I didn't notice the beer puddle, but it would alarmed me if I had. You can still make bubbles with the spilled soap, but the beer would be a complete waste!). Otherwise, it would just be two containers, perfectly copied onto a canvas with paint...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011 11:16:45 AM »

It's a great start!
I'm actually most impressed by the background.
At first I honoustly thought you had painted on a stone floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bexedrine
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011 07:36:49 AM »

Thanks folks! Funny thing about the background is that, besides the puddles, it was the last thing I painted. I think I got better as I went along, so I can't wait to keep going and learning. Been thinking of investing in a real easel and some good brushes. For those with experience, is it worth the cash? (I kind of dig the idea of an easel as a decorative touch for my place, anyway Smiley.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally got it all together, but I forgot where I put it.
enakitty
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011 04:16:07 AM »

Really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé Nails the Island-Style Look in Cuba
Featured Blogger: Annabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury
The Pencil Skirt: An Office Staple is Reborn
5 Ways To Wear A Leather Skater Skirt
Rev Run and Tyrese: You Wore That to Church?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...