A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will I get in trouble for my shop name?  (Read 788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starwarspunk
« on: February 04, 2011 10:31:55 AM »

My blog/Craftster name/Etsy name/everything I do on the internet uses the name "starwarspunk". Although I haven't tried to sell anything yet, would I get in trouble if I sold anything on Etsy/any other site or started some sort of business using the name starwarspunk?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreshMade
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011 03:30:32 AM »

Hi,

Im no expert but the term starwars is a trandmark and i believe that george lucas and co are very legitous. While you may get away with using that name for a while, why risk it? If you do end up being successful you would definitely have to change your name once your shop becomes more well-known and the trademark infringement comes to their attention, then you would be stuck having to re-brand your shop.

Or course you could risk it like a lot of people do and hope that they dont notice Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ahtchristina
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 01:31:30 PM »

My thoughts also are that you could get into issues using that name.  Right now it describes you, but unless your crafts are all star wars themed (again something that could get you into trouble), I would change the name to something that describes your craft, rather than you personally.

I know you've gotten used to this name - I tend to use the same profile name wherever I go and when I can't I get all crabby that I have to think of, and remember, something new.  But I think in this case it's for the better.

Sorry....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011 04:18:15 PM »

What a name like that does is play off the billion-dollar marketing and image campaigns that someone else pays for. You can't use it. If you ever went beyond mere crafting and was featured in a famous-type publication or even tried to do business with a savvy retailer, you would definitely be asked about your licensing agreement with the Lucas folks because no one wants to get sued for violating a trademark. Your interview and your retail deal has just been canceled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pilgrim Costume
How to Do Vampire Lips With Makeup
How to Do Vampire Eyes With Makeup
Vampire Makeup Contouring
Vampire Makeup Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...